Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2022, 11:50 PM

Default My new ,to me, Browning 1885 22 hornet

I was referred here from the accurate shooters forum as a perhaps better place to discuses the Browning and the 22 Hornet, so this is an updated repost from there.

I have wanted a small caliber low wall ever since Winchester came out with the 17HMR and I could have got it for $700.00 just did not want something I could not reload. I have a Sako 22-250 heavy barrel single shot so I was looking for something a lot lighter, then I saw the Browning 1885 in the 22 hornet and could not resist.

I just bought a new Christmas present for me- a browning 1885 in 22 hornet 1-16 twist

It arrived at my FFL today and I just filled out the paperwork, now the 10 day wait. Live in California.

I decided on the Browning, made in 1995 over one of the new Winchesters because of the wood. My dealer and staff were trying to figure out a way to tell me it was broken and that I would not want it.( wrong ) it does have some nice wood Ill post pictures when I pick it up

Looking to get set up for reloading, with components, as hard to find as they are I'm trying to get what I can.
My first priority is to make it go bang, then accuracy

I have ordered

PPU brass It is all I could find
I also picked up some loaded PPU 45gr ammo at my local shooting range. $40.00 per box seemed like a good deal.

Lee collet dies
4227 powder
Hornaday 40g V max and Calhoon 42 gr dbl hpl pistol
small rifle primers

It looks like I can get
Barns 40g Varmin- a tor- Barns 36g varmet grenade
Speer 46g varmet soft point flat nose Are these to long for the 1-16 twist
If I can only get one what would be your first choice

Any help or suggestions on bullets and powder or recommended loads in the Browning is appreciated.

I'll mostly be shooting paper and small steel, Bug hole groups are fun, I won't be shooting anything that i'm worried about pelt or meat damage.

do I need to crimp
would a micrometer seating die be advisable.

PS thanks to the moderators for updating my membership

Dennis