Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-12-2022, 08:51 PM

Default 20 vt

I wonder if someone has the rights to 20 fireball? I just spent many, many hours , making and loading 500 20vt's out of lc brass. I had forgotten how much work it was, so I decided to make a video of the process and posted it on YouTube , my first, so if you watch it be gentle.

heres a link, if it doesn't work, just search "making vartarg brass"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QT...qyOlRI6TD8TyWd

Last edited by chuckshooter; 02-12-2022 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshooter View Post
I wonder if someone has the rights to 20 fireball? I just spent many, many hours , making and loading 500 20vt's out of lc brass. I had forgotten how much work it was, so I decided to make a video of the process and posted it on YouTube , my first, so if you watch it be gentle.

Curious if you anneal, the brass after forming ?

Jim
Old 02-20-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Good Video!

When I make up a batch of VT brass, I do it in steps. I'll do 200 or so in one step and take a break. Later I come back and do the next step and take a break. I repeat this until I'm through. I keep an index card with all the steps listed on it that I need to complete. When a step is completed, a line is drawn through that step. So whenever I come back to it to continue, I know exactly where I need to start.

I'm thinking about doing a 20 Fireball that would be much easier to load for by cutting out some steps.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:12 PM

Default 20 vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Curious if you anneal, the brass after forming ?

Jim
yes, I anneal after all those steps, before loading,

I just got back from the first squirrel shoot of the year and I shot 441 of the 20vt I had just formed, my goal is 500 per gun and I didn't load or take the cases I had already shot for load development. I love that little round. perfect for sagerats as some call them. this new rem. 700 20vt. with a ptg bolt shoots great, ejects great but loading them into the chamber was a pain in the ass. I'm going to need to modify the follower or feed ramp or something, my others don't have this issue, so some detective work is necessary.

Last edited by chuckshooter; 02-24-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
Good Video!

When I make up a batch of VT brass, I do it in steps. I'll do 200 or so in one step and take a break. Later I come back and do the next step and take a break. I repeat this until I'm through. I keep an index card with all the steps listed on it that I need to complete. When a step is completed, a line is drawn through that step. So whenever I come back to it to continue, I know exactly where I need to start.

I'm thinking about doing a 20 Fireball that would be much easier to load for by cutting out some steps.
I also generally do them in steps, but for the purpose of the video, I went from 223 to vartarg, and I added the third press which isn't normally on my bench.
BTW, were you able to use that lead wire, you got from me some tome ago?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Ejects great but loading them into the chamber was a pain in the ass. I'm going to need to modify the follower or feed ramp or something, my others don't have this issue, so some detective work is necessary.
I solved that issue with the use of single shot followers in my repeater actions. Most of mine came from High Country Gunsmithing long ago. Not sure if he's still offering them, but they work as advertised, and takes that PITA out of the equation. I'm certain there's other sources for these SS followers, but they really work.

In use, the SS follower sits on top of the factory follower, making a nice, smooth loading tray for the cartridge. You can always remove it and turn the rifle back in to repeater-mode.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:54 PM

I do the same as RIO. I have Score Hi single shot followers for some of my M70, and Sako actions, and also have a single shot mag for use in an AR.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
I solved that issue with the use of single shot followers in my repeater actions. Most of mine came from High Country Gunsmithing long ago. Not sure if he's still offering them, but they work as advertised, and takes that PITA out of the equation. I'm certain there's other sources for these SS followers, but they really work.

In use, the SS follower sits on top of the factory follower, making a nice, smooth loading tray for the cartridge. You can always remove it and turn the rifle back in to repeater-mode.
I have few of those also, but they were to long for my magazine well, so I made one out of a piece of scrap aluminum for the first trip, but did not follow the design very well, I made another this time exactly like the score high but shorter and what do you know, seams to be loading just fine now. I bought this magazine box 2nd hand, it must be for a 221 fireball or 17 rem as it is much shorter than any of my others.