Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 10-15-2019, 02:10 AM

Default 22 hornet and barnes 45gr tsx?

anyone tried 45gr barnes tsx
in 22 hornet
not a varmint grenade but the hunting tsx
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 PM

I was going to try this once. The over all length was to long to be practical for me. The bullets ogive was in the case mouth when I tried to set a usable LOA. That said Barnes use to list 22 Hornet/45 TSX reloading data for it in one of there manuals. That's where I got the idea.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:42 PM

browning abolt listed twist rate i can find is 1:16 which i find for a modern hornet abit suprising so 45gn tsx may not work well due to length
Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 AM

I've shot 50 grain bullets that are about as long as the 45 grain TSX in a CZ 527 22 Hornet with a 1 in 16 twist successfully. When Montana lowered the hunting age from 12 to 9 years old we encountered some problems. If you think about it the size difference from 9 to 12 is quite a bit. The Remington 600 with its short stock in 243 Winchester that worked so well for the 12 year old's was to muzzle heavy for the 9 year old's. Figuring bullet placement trumped bullet size a CZ 527 Youth Carbine in 223 Remington was acquired. The 53 grain Barnes X bullet was loaded for deer under 100 yards. It worked out very well. The smallest hunters dont mind the recoil and weight of this rifle so they shoot it very well. When I saw the data for the 45 grain bullets in 22 Hornet in the Barnes manual I figured that I had to see how they would shoot. But as stated in the earlier post no luck.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:16 AM

cheers for the replies
we have wild/feral goats so just looking into different options for 22 hornet if i come across a goat while shooting varmints with hornet
but then 40-50grn at 100yrds or less and headshot will work frm a hornet 😎
Old 10-16-2019, 02:40 AM

The 45 grain TSX would more than likely work as a single loader with a longer LOA. I was trying to get them to work thru a CZ magazine (or possibly a Ruger 77/22 I dont remember which) and the length was either to long or the bullet was set to far into the case. You've got me thinking, if the weather isn't to bad this weekend I'll put together some 45 TSX single loader's and play some. If I remember correctly the forward for the 22 Hornet section of the Barnes manual was written by an African PH and he was using this combo for zebra. That seemed to me to be taking things to extremes but I may be miss remembering things. I'll have to check the various Hornets throats to see what one is the most likely candidate.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 PM

This took a day longer than I thought it would. First I thought that I had reloading data for the Barnes 45 grain TSX FB bullet. I didn't, the data that I have is for the Barnes 45 grain XLC BT, a coated "blue" bullet. The blue bullet data is in the Barnes number 3 manual and the 2006-2019 Hodgdon annual manuals. Barnes number 4 manual has zero Hornet data. Barnes web site has data from there number 5 manual and list Hornet data for the 36 grain Varmint Grenade. So I struck out all over the place. The Barnes number 3 manual contains data for the 50 grain XFB bullet and this is where I started. Continued on next post.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:11 PM

So I began with the Barnes data for the 50 grain XFB bullet and hoped that the 10% reduction in weight and the two relief grooves in the 45 TSX FB would cut me some lee way. Three shots at 10 grains Little Gun (The max for the 50 grainers) and no issues. I then put together six more three shot groups increasing the powder charge by .5 grain a go. This is at it's maximum the same powder charge that I use with the 45 grain Hornady Hornet bullet. Again no issues. The Cooper doesn't seem to shoot this bullet very accurately though. Continued in next post.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 PM

After using the Cooper I tried a CZ 527 American with the top four powder weight loads. I didn't begin with the CZ because of it's 223 bore and 1 in 16 twist. All twelve shots went without any problems and the CZ shot them to the same point of impact as it's usual load and at about 3/4 inch groups. All holes in the target are round and not oblong so they appear to be stabilizing. this over all performance with the CZ impressed me. The Cooper was quite a bit less so. Continued in next post.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:35 PM

I had 16 bullets left (49 total) and put them over the top powder load. I left the cartridge LOA set for the CZ and then fired two 8 shot groups, one from the CZ and one from the Cooper. The CZ continued to impress with no real change but the Cooper didn't respond well to the shorter LOA that was set for the CZ. An inch and a half long by one and three quarters tall at about 3 o'clock (two inch's low and one and a half to the right) from the normal point of impact. I dont know why Barnes doesn't list data for this bullet in the Hornet except for it's to long cartridge length and maybe the Hornet doesn't generate enough velocity to meet the bullets needs for expansion. I began this about 15 years ago when I purchased the 45 grain TSX bullets. Let me know if you can find some reliable powder data for this bullet, I couldn't find any at all.