Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default AR question

Murdochs has a sale this w/e. Ruger or S&W MP II $500. They look similar, collapsible stock, 16", flip sights.
Anyone have experience with either? Seems to me apple vs apple but you may have some input.

Last edited by barretcreek; 11-09-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 PM

$500 for an AR is overpriced in the current market in my opinion.

I would go this route personally. PSA has always been good to me and others.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...-magazine.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...ng-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5...ng-handle.html

add a rear sight of your choice, pay your transfer on the lower and you'll have a nice platform to build off of. i've personally have owned 2 of those exact uppers and both have been shooters.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 11-09-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Supporting Member

Same here..........I saw some earlier this week with both similar configurations and the exact same AR's you asked about for $389 plus..... And the shop had a bunch on hand.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-09-2017, 11:42 PM

Rock River is running a 20% off on all their 223/5.56 complete uppers & parts right now and they have a bunch of different one's and they are shooters.

I'd buy a Rock River Arms (RRA) upper then a PSA or whatever lower you wanted. I think that would make you a much better rifle.

I guess you know this but nearly all standard service triggers are heavy pull weight and are a POS. When you can afford it, buy a RRA 2 stage varmint weight trigger and have put in whatever you buy. For $90 it is an awesome trigger.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 11-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Our cost is well over $400 at the shop. Not sure offhand exactly. At $389 there can't be any markup. Edit to add...just checked one of our distributors, and our dealer cost from them is $550 or so for the ruger and s&w sport 2. I don't know what distributor they got them from at that price???

Nevertheless, if you want an AR, get it now. The Dumbocrats are introducing another bill to ban them.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
Our cost is well over $400 at the shop. Not sure offhand exactly. At $389 there can't be any markup. Edit to add...just checked one of our distributors, and our dealer cost from them is $550 or so for the ruger and s&w sport 2. I don't know what distributor they got them from at that price???

Nevertheless, if you want an AR, get it now. The Dumbocrats are introducing another bill to ban them.
The GS owner where I was said he was losing some money at that price but he was more interested in moving the butt load of AR's he had sitting... He buys in volume and sell a bunch, but right now AR's are a dead market aroud here. I have no idea how much he was willing to sacrifice, but a basic AR today with no frills that is priced at $500 is overpriced where I live.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 AM
Administrator

He certainly isn't lying. We're sitting on probably 40-50 right now. When I started at the shop 15 years or so ago, there was only a handful of AR vendors we could buy from and we normally only had 3-4 in stock at any time. Now...the possibilities are endless. Certainly you can build one just as good or better for $500 or less.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:31 AM
Supporting Member

And building your own is a lot more fun than buying a stock item...

Old 11-10-2017, 01:50 AM
Supporting Member

I have bought them, built them, re-built them...but currently one of the better deals as a complete rifle is the Ruger AR "MPR", at $600 delivered. Upgrades are the 2-stage trigger, 18" barrel, Magpul hardware, and the Ruger floating handguard, all nice items.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/199005
Old 11-10-2017, 01:56 AM
Supporting Member

Wonder how the poor buggers feel about paying 2K+ for run of the mill AR's shortly after Sandy Hook when things were going nuts??????