Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 PM

Default Cleaning Rod Guide for Dakota Varminter

I've mentioned a new Dakota Varminter in another thread and wanted to see whether anyone on this forum knows where I can find a cleaning-rod guide for this action. I've looked at some of the guide makers (like Possum Hollow), but don't see anything earmarked specifically for this action.

I contacted Mike Lucas about his (highly-recommended) guides, but he said he wouldn't ship one to me in Canada. Said he refuses to fill out the customs form.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Supporting Member

Well unfortunately, that sounds like something Mike might say, but I don't really blame him for not wanting to deal with stupid red tape. He made all of mine, so he has the dimensions if you can find a way to get it. Not going to visit any friends or relatives in the states during the holidays?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
I've mentioned a new Dakota Varminter in another thread and wanted to see whether anyone on this forum knows where I can find a cleaning-rod guide for this action. I've looked at some of the guide makers (like Possum Hollow), but don't see anything earmarked specifically for this action.

I contacted Mike Lucas about his (highly-recommended) guides, but he said he wouldn't ship one to me in Canada. Said he refuses to fill out the customs form.

Any suggestions?
Sinclair used to make rod guides based on certain dimensions that an end user would supply when rod guides were needed for less common actions that they felt they could not stock. Now that Sinclair was "sucked up" by Brownells, I assume that they probably will not make the odd balls if they in fact even carry the old Sinclair guides at all.

Being that Possum Hollow is essentially Sinclair for rod guides and maybe some other products, you might want to contact them with your needs to see what they say before giving up after not seeing your rifle listed. This was the policy with Sinclair before, and they might be able to meet your needs now in the same way.

Sinclair, and possibly Brownells, if my memory is correct, would deal with foreign shipments, at least to the extent that they are allowed by law. I do not know about Possum Hollow.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.

Last edited by Danny; 11-19-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 AM

Try Bruno's also. Bruno's used to stock some Sinclair rod guides the last time I was there, maybe 10 years ago or so.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 AM
Supporting Member

Give Eric Sinclair @ possum hollow a call, I bet he can fix you up. Good fella to deal with and talk to.

Tom
Old 11-19-2017, 12:10 AM

I emailed Possum Hollow about hard to find bore guides and late that night Eric emailed me, told what product # I needed. and left his personal phone number for me to call in my CC #. I had them in 3 days direct from him.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 11-19-2017, 05:11 PM

The Possum Hollow bore guide chart indicates that a Dakota Predator action for 222 Rem. takes a #94 bore guide. This is the same guide as a CZ 527 in 222, 223, etc.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productd...uide_chart.pdf

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...tra-lite-20-24
Old 11-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
The Possum Hollow bore guide chart indicates that a Dakota Predator action for 222 Rem. takes a #94 bore guide. This is the same guide as a CZ 527 in 222, 223, etc.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productd...uide_chart.pdf

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...tra-lite-20-24
Thanks, John. I'll get in touch with Eric at Possum Hollow.