Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-20-2018, 05:06 AM

If you got them on sale, they were cheaper than buying brass. Get a bullet puller and drop the charge .2-.4 grains.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeport View Post
I had the same problem with Hornady factory 25 grain out of my CZ 527 varmint in .17 hornet, and also had some split cases so now I won't shoot it. The accuracy was poor also.

Never had a problem with the .20 grain factory Vmax loads and accuracy is outstanding.
Mine shot about 1 1/4” with the 25hp. Can’t say I missed a Pdog out to 265 yds with the “poor” accuracy. The factory 20 grain is 5/8”
Old 04-20-2018, 05:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Contact whoever you bought 'em from.
OR the factory and ask what's the solution.

Let us know what they say. Good luck.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

6-8 weeks if it goes back to cz. sounds like the 25 are loaded to hot as the 20 and 25 are the same bullet diameter so you should have the same neck clearance on both. the only way yo get accurate neck clearance due to brass spring back would be to cast the chamber.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Contact whoever you bought 'em from.
OR the factory and ask what's the solution.

Let us know what they say. Good luck.
I did. They thought my bore was dirty.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:24 AM

I was messing with the hornet tonight and decided to sand down the firing pin a little to shorten it and see if it made a difference. I shot ten rounds through it right at dark and didn’t have hardly any primer flow at all and not one piercing with the same lot of 25’s I was having the trouble with. It shot really well too ten shots in 3/4” at 100 yards. Maybe I solved the problem.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:27 AM

When I first got my Cz527 .17 Hornet I was getting pierced primers with reduced loads using Remington 6 1/2 primers and Hornady 25gr HP's... Took the bolt apart and smoothed the firing pin down and end of problem for my situation.

I inspected the firing pin before polishing it and it looked rough with a burr. Regardless if that was the result of the primers that where getting pierced and maybe welding the end of the pin, after I smoothed it down with 600 grit wet sand paper its fine now.

Hope you figure it out.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklong View Post
I was messing with the hornet tonight and decided to sand down the firing pin a little to shorten it and see if it made a difference. I shot ten rounds through it right at dark and didn’t have hardly any primer flow at all and not one piercing with the same lot of 25’s I was having the trouble with. It shot really well too ten shots in 3/4” at 100 yards. Maybe I solved the problem.
This often fixes primer piercing with the CZ 527s. For some reason many of their firing p[ins come out without a properly rounded and radiused tip. Be careful you don't sand it down too far.

The other thing with CZ is they typically have a very tight chamber compared to Savage and Ruger, this will make loads run from a bit to a lot higher pressure in them. It is why you see CZ 17 HHs reaching 3600 FPS out of a 22" barrel vs the 24" test barrel, long before most of us hit max load in published load books. Mine hits 3600 FPS at 9.6 grains of Lil'Gun rather than at 10 grains as Hodgdon publishes. I have seen other CZs hit 3600 at as low as 9.1 grains, which is .6 grains below Hodgdon's start load.

Based on that I am not surprised that Hornady factory loads tend to be on the hot side for our guns. Hornady has always had a reputation for pushing the limits on their factory ammo, to get the most speed possible, so I have seen their ammo be too hot in some hunting rifles as well. I have never seen it dangerously too high but past comfortably usable in some guns.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The other thing with CZ is they typically have a very tight chamber compared to Savage and Ruger
If the CZ's have a tight chamber compared to Savage and Ruger, then Savage and Ruger must have huge over sized chambers in them because of the 4 different CZ 527's I have, with two of them being 17 Hornets, the chambers on mine are anything but tight. In fact the 17 Hornet chambers are actually the worst and are rather large in mine. As an experiment I sent one of my CZ 527 17 Hornets off to be rechambered with a tighter spec reamer to see if a tighter spec chamber makes them shoot a little better, I'm supposed to have it back by the end of next week.

What's amazing is how well they shoot with chambers that are so over sized. It'll be interesting to see if a tighter spec chamber has any affect on them or if it was just a waste of money having it re-chambered, but they certainly don't come with tight chambers from the factory.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
If the CZ's have a tight chamber compared to Savage and Ruger, then Savage and Ruger must have huge over sized chambers in them because of the 4 different CZ 527's I have, with two of them being 17 Hornets, the chambers on mine are anything but tight. In fact the 17 Hornet chambers are actually the worst and are rather large in mine. As an experiment I sent one of my CZ 527 17 Hornets off to be rechambered with a tighter spec reamer to see if a tighter spec chamber makes them shoot a little better, I'm supposed to have it back by the end of next week.

What's amazing is how well they shoot with chambers that are so over sized. It'll be interesting to see if a tighter spec chamber has any affect on them or if it was just a waste of money having it re-chambered, but they certainly don't come with tight chambers from the factory.
Depends on the gun and where it was in the production run. I have had a couple of CZs I would call on the loose side but the majority have been close to SAMII min, based on measuring once fired brass using a mid range load. I sold mine with the larger size chambers, just like some of the tight chamber ones, as part of my normal buy, try and re-sell, even though they shot well enough, so I will be very interested to hear if your re chamber job actually makes a difference..

Last edited by Dean2; 04-28-2018 at 07:21 PM.