Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 PM

I would STILL, pull the bullet and back down the charge weight. You are not going to get your money back, you really don't want to pass on the problem to an unsuspecting shooter, and if you bought it at the price I did, it was still cheaper than you could buy brass alone. Should you have to, no. PIA, yes. As much as their brass for the .17HH sucks, it will still shoot 5/8" groups with factory ammo, and 1/2"- 5/8" with handloads , and I don't compete in BR with it, I will just use it. I don't know how many loads I will get , because I have not hit that number yet. I wish RWS brass was .25 a piece, but they are not. I wish Lapua or Norma made brass for it, but they don't. I think their is a VERY limited number of companies that will make the .17HH brass for Hornady, and they sadly get what their is to get.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 PM

I just found this thread..I picked up a new CZ 527 V. this spring for shooting ground squirrels. 200 rounds of loaded 20 grain and 200 rounds of new brass.
What I experienced was my chamber was on the large side and the die was on the small side, so much so that the redding type S die was tight, so tight it was more difficult to size than a ultramag. After a conversation with redding I sent the dies back with 5 fired cases and they honed the die. It cured the problem. The rifle always shot minute of squirrel.
I also picked up a boyds pro varmint on rapid fire discount, bedded the stock, installed a burris BD 6-24 and it shot 1/2 moa at a 100 yrds. It surprised me.. Thats with factory 20 grain. I have no desire to shoot 25 grain out of a hornet, so Ive never tried them. I have loaded and shot 200 17grain midway boat tails with great success though. They really mist some GS

Last edited by FireballNV; 05-26-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Rocklong:

Question: This last shooting session when you blew the primer.
Was that in a HOT rifle from shooting a bunch?

Several years ago on a 105 degree day shooting in the sun at p/dogs.
We ran out of targets. Buddy went over the hill looking around and came
back to say there was hundreds over there. Rifle was hot from shooting and sun.
I messed up and left it loaded and bolt closed. Once I sat down and fired.
blew the primer and stuck the case. I also got mighty lucky as a spec of unburnt powder hit the center of my contact lense! No, I didn't have glasses on. Stupid too!

By the time we drove to the gunsmiths it had cooled down enough the case came out easy. He chewed my butt: "hot loads, hot rifles and not having shooting glasses on". He'd rebarreled the rifle himself.
Loads were not that hot either. 23.0gr AA2200, or else 25.0gr 4895. Neither are very hot loads. Just the hot temps and hot gun is all it could have been in my case.
What's the chance of the same thing that session for you?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Rocklong:

Question: This last shooting session when you blew the primer.
Was that in a HOT rifle from shooting a bunch?

Several years ago on a 105 degree day shooting in the sun at p/dogs.
We ran out of targets. Buddy went over the hill looking around and came
back to say there was hundreds over there. Rifle was hot from shooting and sun.
I messed up and left it loaded and bolt closed. Once I sat down and fired.
blew the primer and stuck the case. I also got mighty lucky as a spec of unburnt powder hit the center of my contact lense! No, I didn't have glasses on. Stupid too!

By the time we drove to the gunsmiths it had cooled down enough the case came out easy. He chewed my butt: "hot loads, hot rifles and not having shooting glasses on". He'd rebarreled the rifle himself.
Loads were not that hot either. 23.0gr AA2200, or else 25.0gr 4895. Neither are very hot loads. Just the hot temps and hot gun is all it could have been in my case.
What's the chance of the same thing that session for you?
Yes I had shot probably 20-25 rounds before this but the gun wasn’t really hot at all. I never leave rounds baking in the chamber because I have seen the effects of this also.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:36 AM

Question Rocklong..........

What is the diameter of the firing pin hole in the boltface?

Can you post a close-up pic of one of your badly cratered primers/casehead?

Kevin
Old 05-28-2018, 04:32 AM

I’ll see if I can find one and measure the firing pin hole tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 PM

As far as I can tell with a micrometer the firing pin hole is .070” and the firing pin is .065”. If you click on the pics it will take you to a clearer image.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 05-29-2018, 12:05 AM

My experience with factory hornady hornet ammo was with the early stuff that had the dot in the headstamp. It was 20gr v max stuff and I had two case head separations in the first five rounds. A call to hornady customer service got me a return shipping label and new ammo. Once again the guy at hornady played stupid but when I searched the lot number online there were multiple hits of issues like mine. I sent my rifle to Ruger as a precaution but they saw no issues with it and returned it. When weighing the early lots with the later lots there is a major difference for such a small case. I’ve noticed about a 5 grain difference in the two.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 AM

Default additional horndy factory ammo data points

Hi All

My first post here, been reading a lot on the 17 HH issues to try and make up my mind what brass to use etc.

Started using my new CZ527 Varmint about 2 weeks ago now, but have already had some troubling issues with the factory hornady ammo.

I first noticed the issue when shooting at a fox (at night) just after sighting in and missed with first shot (didn't notice anything worrying at the time other than missing!) but was unable to load a 2nd round when I noticed it trotting away.
Upon inspection back in the shed, noticed the primer was completely missing from the case!!!!
Then also worked out why I could not load a second round, the primer had fallen into the groove the bolt lug runs in hence preventing me from fully pushing the bolt forward.

The primers in all the factory cases fired (7 in total so far) are not particularly flattened or cratered etc. One of the other 6 cases has signs of leakage and this one as well did not show signs of excessive pressure either.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rq...AycgRV8q-5XWyt

Side view of this leaked case and primer. Note primer is not protruding

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iP...3LA6GaQAtmR7BY

I made contact with Hornady who were very responsive, however even with all of my photos showing the lack of pressure etc, they did not really answer my main question which was to try and find out if this batch was going to be suitable to reload. Their final response is to make sure my barrel has all the oil from the factory cleaned out, and they will send me another 2 boxes of ammo for free....

I still have reservations about this ammo/brass and if I do go and reload it, I will likely measure every primer pocket either directly (diameter) or primer insertion force to reject any that seem loose.
Batch# is 3151646

Happy to post more photos of these results if anyone is interested.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:31 AM

Lightbulb Rocklong..........

A 0.070" boltface hole should be ok for this cartridge/bullet combination.

In your first picture.......in addition to the cratering.....does the primer have a very small hole at the primer's corner, by the blackened brass area? If so, it is a PRIMER FAILURE..........nothing more, nothing less.

The "thing" is.......this is FACTORY loaded ammo........i.e. no primer ID, no powder ID.........

This may sound obvious......but I would clean.....clean.....and CLEAN the bore again. It is the only thing left.....that you can control. BTW......resist using any bore paste, as it can change the bore surface finish(and throat length) in tiny 17 caliber bores.

Note: I once went through three brushes, before a 17-223 bore came clean.

Hope this helps.

Kevin