Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Lightbulb I'll take a shot at this..........

It seems as though you've run into what the benchrest guys call "bolt click".

The click occurs at the top of bolt lift, when the root of the bolt handle contacts the primary extraction cam of the receiver rear.

"Click" is caused by a virgin case web that TOO CLOSELY matches the chamber web diameter area. When fired, the web area does not TOTALLY spring back....and somewhat grabs the chamber web area. Older/used brass can make the problem worse. Magic marker the rear 0.5" of the case body, before firing, and you should be able to easily see the result.

Different brands of brass have different diameters in the web area.......a micrometer is needed to compare them. Selecting a brass brand with a very slightly smaller web diameter should solve the problem. Short of that.....a special body die could be used, or open the chamber slightly.

FWIW.......my 17 Javelina PD rifle does this same thing. The custom Forgreen reamer measured 0.373" at the web rear.........and the Lapua brass I used, would barely grab. I can live with it.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Old 07-09-2018, 03:43 PM

Kevin, the bolt click, as you describe it, is a perfect match to what I have going on. I will see what the .223 small-base die does for us when it gets here.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Received my small-base die in the mail today. Will try to play with it this evening barring any harvest surprises and report back tomorrow. Never did hear back from Cooper, did not make any further effort to contact them.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Alright, I did not have much time to play but, what little I did was encouraging. I picked up a Redding Type-S .233 Small Base die. Broke it down, flushed with starting fluid, put it in the lathe and polished the inside with Flitz and re-cleaned. Just something I do with every new sizing die.

I put this in the press with all the guts removed and ran three empty cases plus one loaded round through the die. All four of these pieces would create the 'bolt-click' (thanks for the term, Kevin) that we were fighting. After going through the SB die, the bolt behaved exactly like a guy would want it to. Extremely small test but, I think we got to the bottom of what has been going on. The die is only sizing an 1/8" closer to the head and the brass is going through the die with VERY little resistance but it made all the difference on these particular cases. To all of you who diagnosed this from afar: Thank you! Never having experienced this, I really believed the issue was in the rifle.

At this point, I won't be making any more effort to contact Cooper. I just don't see the need. Do I still think they make a great rifle? Absolutely! Do I think they are a good bunch of people? Sure! Am I a little disappointed that they never got back to me? Yes. They need to work on that. The best thing for me to do would be to make another call and discuss it with them. Odds are that I won't.

Anyway, thanks to all! Have yet to have an issue that the sauberites could not help with.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 AM

Exclamation The "key" point.......

.....of this problem, will be shown AFTER you fire these newly formed cases.

There is a good chance......."click" may still exist.

Kevin
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 PM

That sounds promising; thanks for following up and sharing your results so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
...the brass is going through the die with VERY little resistance...
It's my opinion that a bolt action should be able to handle this, particularly a high end one. I view this ability as an advantage over a gas gun, so it's disappointing when it falls short.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM

Kevin, some rain would be good but I hope it does not fall on my parade! Only one way to find out what happens next. Hope to cross that bridge by Sunday.

Flyrod, I guess I have a couple thoughts that relate to your last comment.
1. This could very well be limited to a particular batch of brass. I have other cases with higher mileage that were fine when last fired. They need to be loaded again as something like a control group.
2. As popular as the VT is, it's still a wildcat. Reamers are going to vary and most likely will not be made intentionally 'generous'.

Out of curiosity: I have close to five thousand cases out there that I have made for many different VT's. IIRC, I have sent them to nine different States. Anyone else having any issues with any cases I have made? If so, I would appreciate hearing the details. Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM

I ran my boys out to a patch of ground squirrels Sunday that have been living on soft-white wheat. The re-worked VT cases cycled smoothly through the bolt lift and extraction after being fired. Just wanted to give one more update after running a decent number of rounds through the rifle. Thanks and make it a great day!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Supporting Member

I'm glad to hear that you appear to have your problem solved, ramos. Kevin has a history of doing that over the years...............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I'm glad to hear that you got your problem solved. Kevin has a history of doing that over the years...............

-BCB

Kevin is a good example of the knowledge and experience represented on this site, for sure!