Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I asked at a local haunt of mine about the 20" gun yesterday. I was told $675-700 plus tax. I was just curious and wasn't buying . He told me it was showing available thru one of his distributors. 3 days...

No one pays sticker price for a Ruger.

-BCB

Yeah right Hal............everyone on the "internet" knows that you have to pay the sticker price for Rugers. I hear how expensive and overpriced they are all the time.

And you can't own a Ruger 77 rimfire without expecting to pay a Gunsmith for installing a $100 JARD Trigger.

You know, because they are so darn hard to work on.

And they are only good for "looking pretty" and sitting in the safe, cause they don't shoot worth a hoot, in fact, I only get mine out of the safe to brag to my buddies about how nice it looks and feels.

I really feel envious of the Bmag owners who have rifles that shoot good.

Plus, when your done shooting the Bmag, you can put it back in the garden..........afterall, rifles are just tools for shooting rats, and in the Bmags' case, it's a hell of a tomato stake....."Dual Purpose"
Old 07-07-2018, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCrock View Post
With price match, I paid $691 for the 20” sporter barrel version this past weekend. Trigger—-not good out of the box. Wood touching barrel on one side of barrel channel. With bad trigger, 2” at 100 yards so far with 20 grain. Will try 15 grain soon, and do something with that trigger. Hope to field test this weekend on p-dogs. Still, like it better than the b-mag I traded in.
A while back I replaced the stock sear with a Volquartsen one <2lb pull and recently bolt shims to make a great shooter a lights out shooter! Mine is not the threaded barrel model and I have 22, Mach 2 (Clerke) and HMR (Ruger) barrels. Never shot the 22, but the other 2 have shot 100 yd 3 shot groups you can cover with a dime.

Last edited by SmittyWerben; 07-07-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyWerben View Post
A while back I replaced the stock sear with a Volquartsen one <2lb pull and recently bolt shims to make a great shooter a lights out shooter! Mine is not the threaded barrel model and I have 22, Mach 2 (Clerke) and HMR (Ruger) barrels. Never shot the 22, but the other 2 have shot 100 yd 3 shot groups you can cover with a dime.
Good advice......
https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_m77.html

For the trigger......try a lighter trigger return spring first. A BIC Pen is a good place to start with the spring.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 AM

Ouch!!!

Seeing where the Ruger 77 rimfires come in at on this list of 17's with regard to group size, compared to those POS Sav. Bmags, has to be like pouring salt in the wound.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/17HMR_rif...cy_results.htm
Old 07-14-2018, 02:06 AM
Supporting Member

interesting report.

From what I’ve learned is that on any given day each of those may shoot a larger or smaller group. I’m not so sure it would matter if it was in a controlled environment or not.

That said, I’ve had some cheapos out peform the high end guns on occasion and have also do it on a regular basis.

Sometimes out of good interest a person like myself will try to make what what we think is better even if it means by jokingly or otherwise running down what we think is inferior.

For one to make an accurate overall judgement on any given rifle or round, I think we’d have to own at least a half dozen (not consecutive S/N) and shoot a lot of different loads.

Been times I just shot what I think it should like and if it don’t then it’s garbage.

I pretty much like them all... while I will probably never really enjoy a cock on close bolt I still give Savage a lot of credit for being able to produce a firearm that will be able to pretty much kill a small critter at 150 yards with one if the most amazing sized 17 cal cartridges out there. (Based on my own small amount of experience)

Sure I was not happy seeing them come out with a 25 gr bullet and still no 17 gr but that’s just my option lol

We sure live in really awesome small caliber times

Last edited by GLWenzl; 07-14-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Although I have no hard numbers, I think Savage has probably produced more .17 cal rimfires than any other manufacturer. I think their reputation and price point has pretty much made them a goto in the HMR department. I think because they have made so many .17's, they've learned a thing or two about making these little bores and it spans all their .17 cal offerings which includes the WSM....I won't include the early skinny barrel anomaly.

I've said it many times, I wish the Bmag had a completely different action. A scaled up 93R17 would have been so much better than the Khyber Pass Bmag.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Ouch!!!

Seeing where the Ruger 77 rimfires come in at on this list of 17's with regard to group size, compared to those POS Sav. Bmags, has to be like pouring salt in the wound.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/17HMR_rif...cy_results.htm
No dog in this hunt but a sample size of one doesn't prove anything. In fact, this test isn't really even any good at being an exercise in testing ammo in a particular rifle. It has ZERO bearing on the rifle's general production accuracy. Now if they tested, ten of each with ten boxes of the same ammo in each, the test results would be valid.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

I'm just glad that we all have the opportunity to make the wrong decisions for ourselves on how we spend our money. Isn't America a great place.....??

I currently own two 77/17's - a stainless green/tan laminated stock 17 HMR and a stainless and walnut 17 WSM along with two blue/walnut 17/22's in 22 Hornet and 22 K-Hornet, and all of them shoot extremely well without any shims or trigger work. The K-Hornet still has the original barrel and all that has been done to it was a 30 minute reamer conversion job done by a good gunsmith.

Maybe 15 years ago I owned a stainless/synthetic 77/22 in 22LR that shot extremely well, but I sent it down the road after maybe a year because I did not/could not warm up to the boat paddle stock design. Since then I've read on the internet numerous times that it was a classic that I let slip through my fingers.........

So............ I guess count me as an obvious 5 time loser for getting an accurate Ruger RF rifle. Even though one of them had a stock that was butt ugly in my eyes but a classic to others' eyes.......

I have no idea what the 6th might bring, but I'm not afraid to spend the money to find out whenever the next "right thing" for me comes along.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 07-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Hog patrol you're 100% right!! Thank you! And with Winchester loading the only ammo! Welll... Good luck! That's why I say, I wish CCI was loading it too! I'll stick with my reworked Savage it shoots inconstant ammo just fine. Goes bang everytime I pull the trigger! Err a sister everytime
Old 07-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Hog patrol you're 100% right!! Thank you! And with Winchester loading the only ammo! Welll... Good luck! That's why I say, I wish CCI was loading it too! I'll stick with my reworked Savage it shoots inconstant ammo just fine. Goes bang everytime I pull the trigger! Err a almost everytime