Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
BCB, well bless your heart. How about you google that.
LOL.... I don't need to. I live in the south.

Nice effort though.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 07-16-2018, 04:09 PM

B23, A added idea to your original question on making 20 HH from 17 HH brass. I too am well aware that the Hornady brass leaves a little to be desired...but it does work in my opinion for the shorter range shooting...sooo one doesn't need a "perfect" reloading set-up. In other words ya "ain't" shooting out at 500 yds and beyond! I went in the loading room this morning and took several once fired 17HH brass and using a K & M Mandrel with a tapered .204 pilot opened up the 17HH brass to .204. If one doesn't reef on the press and does it smoothly it opens the brass up to around .204-.2045". From that point you could turn the necks if desired or run them through your 17HH FL bushing die with a .204" bushing to set your neck tension. Pretty simple in my opinion. On another subject these comments back and forth on who thinks they are the cutest with smart a-- remarks is just unnecessary in my opinion. You asked about a sensible idea and it went off in a completely crazy tangent. This is why I don't comment often on the forum. It's my belief this is the reason you don't see some knowledge people making many or any comments anymore. Moderators...this needs to stop. Supposedly this is the discussion part of the forum...let it respectfully be just that! 410gauge
Old 07-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Supporting Member

410gauge, I agree with you 100%!!!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
B23, A added idea to your original question on making 20 HH from 17 HH brass. I too am well aware that the Hornady brass leaves a little to be desired...but it does work in my opinion for the shorter range shooting...sooo one doesn't need a "perfect" reloading set-up. In other words ya "ain't" shooting out at 500 yds and beyond! I went in the loading room this morning and took several once fired 17HH brass and using a K & M Mandrel with a tapered .204 pilot opened up the 17HH brass to .204. If one doesn't reef on the press and does it smoothly it opens the brass up to around .204-.2045". From that point you could turn the necks if desired or run them through your 17HH FL bushing die with a .204" bushing to set your neck tension. Pretty simple in my opinion. On another subject these comments back and forth on who thinks they are the cutest with smart a-- remarks is just unnecessary in my opinion. You asked about a sensible idea and it went off in a completely crazy tangent. This is why I don't comment often on the forum. It's my belief this is the reason you don't see some knowledge people making many or any comments anymore. Moderators...this needs to stop. Supposedly this is the discussion part of the forum...let it respectfully be just that! 410gauge
As PGW Steve pointed out, and I should have known better, trying to use a 17HH FL Bushing die, even with no bushing in it at all, is automatically going to size the neck down to far because, even though it's a FL Bushing die, it is still a 17 caliber die and as it goes through the transition into the bushing, even if the bushing is the correct diameter, the die will size the neck under whatever the bushing size is that I'd be using to make it a 20HH.

As I stated earlier, I should have already been aware of this because I ran into this same problem when I thought I could use my Redding 6-284 FL Bushing die for my 6.5-284 and save myself from buying another set of dies but it was a no go. Now, had I had a set of 6.5-284 FL Bushing dies first, I could have swapped bushings back and forth and got away with it.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member

I mentioned the .20 Ackley Hornet not to compare rounds or sell one over the other, honest, everyone likes what they like and I like em all.
As to the .20 Hornet getting bumped up from .17 it just isn't something I'd "personally" choose to do for several reasons. As mentioned above, I've never seen any Hornady brass I care for period. Plus which, to my knowledge you'd only have one choice for brass. All my Hornets and Hornet variations use weight segregated WW cases, keeps it simple. There is one exception to the WW cases, I do have a 1,000 unfired Nosler Hornet cases to work with back there, looks like top shelf brass and it was on sale .
My thinking on a .20 Ackley being cheaper is that Pac-Nor chambers the round in their barrels already so no reamer purchase is needed or chambering expence. On Pac-Nor I was told by the best gunsmith I know when I was fixing to order a Pac-Nor in a 6MM tube for a 6X47 Lapua that he thought the two best sub .22 caliber barrels out there were Pac-Nor and Lilga but for the 6 he'd get a Kreiger, he sure didn't steer me wrong.
I sent a CZ .17 Hornet purchased for this project to Pac-Nor, They chambered one of their Super Match 3 groove, Stainless, 1 in 12 twist barrels in .20 ACK for me, swapped barrels, and all the needed work for $660.00 included is the barrel (two springs past).
While forming cases I shot this 11 shot group, shot an extra after I really yanked one getting adjusted. I liked the work Pac-Nor did and every .17 and .20 I have has a Pac-Nor 3 groove barrel on it, ain't had a clunker yet.

I was using 13.2 grains of 1680 under a 32 grain V-Max in a fire-form load that was just a titch under 3,200FPS as memory serves.
IMO the .17 Hornady bumped to .20, if a guy went that way would probably be a near twin?
Whatever ya do be sure and keep us posted and don't forget the camera .
Enough outta me.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Supporting Member

Since this whole thing seemed to turn on my use of a word in one of my posts, I'll offer this link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagniappe

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

I actually knew that word however I sure couldn't of spelled it for ya, good word .
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
I actually knew that word however I sure couldn't of spelled it for ya, good word .
You were way ahead of me then, Doug. I looked it up earlier to get the definition and also found out my best guess on pronunciation was way off!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Supporting Member

Simply spoken lan yap..........

Land without the "d" and yap like a dog. Two syllables with equal emphasis on each........

Laissez les bons temps rouler..............

I'm ain't gonna' tell ya'll what "Bless your heart" means in Texas............ If Grandma said it to you, she wasn't being nice to you...............

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 07-17-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:02 AM

I've said it before but, what the heck: Amazing what a guy learns hanging around this bunch.