Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-20-2016, 12:19 AM

Default Woo-Hoo!! I got it!! SOS!!!Older savage model 12 bolt help

Hey guys I just picked up an older savage model 12 in 17 fire ball. It's a left hand bolt rifle and I wanted to disassemble the bolt. I've watched some you tube videos ..my bolt has a spot for a hex wrench and it will not budge..I don't want to break anything..but I want to inspect the firing pin as it just sounds slow when I dry fire.. perhaps it need a new spring, or a good cleaning ..I know on left hand Remington bolt actions the bolt is reversed thread..I'm not sure about the savage model 12..
I could really use some help here..any idea's

Last edited by 1coolcat; 11-27-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:37 AM

They aren't left hand thread on newer round tops, but its possible. Its a binding head bolt and they're usually hard to break free the first time. Soft jaws on the vise on the bolt head and a 1/4 hex socket with a longer ratchet.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:35 AM

Well I wrap the bolt in a towel and put it in my vise ( I had leather pads in it) put the 1/4" also wrench in the head, and it won't budge..
Next I put a torch right at the bend on the alen wrench and heated it till it was red hot..heat transfer to the bolt and gets it hot as hell, with out messing up the finish..I put a 3' bar on the alen wrench and pulled so hard I made a half turn..I thought sweet!! It came loose..
NOPE! All I did was bend my wrench..
Either some one put red loc-tite on it or its rusted on..
I drenched it with kroil and will let it soak maybe that will loosen things up..I think if I get any more aggressive something is going to break for sure..but that screw isn't coming out..I may send it in to savage and have them remove it And install a new trigger spring.. weather it needs it or not..I just don't like not being able to service things my self..I will be patient ..
Old 11-20-2016, 01:40 AM

Viewed from the allen head bolt end (rear or rifle), which way were you turning it, CW or CCW?

Heating the allen wrench will just ruin it as you found out.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:19 AM
Supporting Member

Lay the bolt assembly on the floor with the handle to the left and touching the floor in a bunch of rags for padding. Stick the Allen Wrench in the bolt handle screw with it sticking up enough that when you "STOMP" on it, the screw will brake loose. All pulling on the Allen Wrench does is bend it. The shock of the "STOMP" will have a better chance of braking the screw loose than the pull.
Once you brake it loose, no reason to ever get it that tight again. And if it had Lock Tite on the threads, clean it off and oil it before going back on.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Lay the bolt assembly on the floor with the handle to the left and touching the floor in a bunch of rags for padding. Stick the Allen Wrench in the bolt handle screw with it sticking up enough that when you "STOMP" on it, the screw will brake loose. All pulling on the Allen Wrench does is bend it. The shock of the "STOMP" will have a better chance of braking the screw loose than the pull.
Once you brake it loose, no reason to ever get it that tight again. And if it had Lock Tite on the threads, clean it off and oil it before going back on.
Are you for real , I'll try it..I just don't want to snap the bolt off..
Also it is a left hand bolt rifle, so while viewing the bolt from the rear, bolt on left, I'm turning counter clockwise.

Last edited by 1coolcat; 11-20-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Laying the bolt on the floor is the method I use too......rather than an allen wrench, I use an allen bit, 1/4" socket and socket drive to give more leverage....I'm also a lefty and laying the bolt to the left and turning counterclockwise is correct....good luck
Old 11-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Supporting Member

Removing the bolt handle retaining screw is just like removing the barrel nut. First time can be a real bi**h!! Once it's broken loose, there's no need to ever tighten it again that tight. When removing the barrel nut, you can pull all you want. All you'll end up with is rounded off corners. For the handle retaining screw, it's the shock (stomp) that will have a better chance of braking it loose.
If you can secure the bolt , you could use a hammer to hit the Allen Wrench but, you're better off using your foot. Barrel nut goes the same way. Nut wrench and a hammer to hit the wrench with. THAT shock of steel on steel is what brakes it loose. Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:55 PM

I put the bolt back in my vise and put the alen wrench in it and smacked that sucker quite a few times..nothing..then I used my impact hammer with a 1/4 driver on it ..nothing..with the amount of impact force I can't believe this thing won't budge..
What now?
Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Supporting Member

Leave it be? Why are you taking it apart?