Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Supporting Member

Default Berger Bullets

Welp I went and did it. Yep I got some Berger's. 40gr .224. Am going to load some up for my Triple Deuce. I tried to figure out why everyone likes them so much. They are expensive. I figured the only way to find out if they are that much better than any other bullet is to try them.

You guys on here that use them what makes them better IYO?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Other than some of the custom bullets, I've found the Bergers are the most consistent with respect to base to ogive measurements, weights and accuracy. I use them in all my big game hunting rifles but stick with the cheaper stuff for varmints. YMMV.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Supporting Member

That's what I thought. Consistency is key when reloading for accuracy. Now lets see if they can make me shoot better
Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Berger

I use the 40 HP in my Anschutz 22 hornet. They are very accurate and explosive on PDs.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

too rich for my blood. Vmax's shoot minute of varmint and they don't seem to care if shot with a $.15 or $.30 bullet

ML
Old 03-23-2017, 04:35 PM

I'm cheap and always looking for a deal. Midsouth bulk 34 gr Dogtown hp shoot 1/4 groups in my hornet. I bought a small lot to test. Realized how well they shot and quickly got 1000 of them. For my target poor environment that is 2 life times of bullets. But hey you can't have to much of a good thing. Back on topic I rarely hear anyone complain about Berger bullets, other then price. I'm sure you will love them. Let us know
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Supporting Member

I can see me buying a box to shoot in a new rifle to get a good idea of what the rifle is capable of for accuracy.....Then buying a bunch of 40 grain V-Max's to load up and go shooting like Mntngoat .
As an aside. Many years back I bought a 40X Remington out of the custom shop in 6MM BR, fast twist, tight neck etc. Then I bought a bunch of custom bullets to see how it shot, it was amazingly accurate to me (started my insane accuracy quest big time ). After all was said and done however the bullet that consistently gave me the smallest groups (mid .3's usually and on occasion upper .2's) was the garden variety "Sierra 70 grain MatchKing", go figure? Better accuracy at half or less the price. They like what they like I guess but it's always fun experimenting. Let us know how it goes, I'm betting real well !!!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 PM

I would like to hear more opinions on the Berger 40 varmint. I've been thinking about trying them in my 22-250.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:44 PM

If you can find 40gr. HP Varminators by Barnes, buy some. They were VERY accurate in both of my Hornets and in 250 piece boxes, the cheapest of all .224" bullets.
Extreme accuracy and cheap, I liked that.
Too - the 40gr. HP VLC's (Blue Coated Barnes)are also very accurate, especially in my .222 Sako.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

I have been working with this Varmint Special 222 for awhile now. I want to see just what this gun can do. So I pulled out all the stops. I need to run it over a Chrony with these 40's and a little more powder adjustment and it will be ready to see exactly what it can do. Or what it can't do. Or what I can't do. Or what it coulda done if I could have done it.

I just want to put a bunch of bullets in one little hole