Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default Got to punch some paper Saturday

I quit the Chemo they were giving me (Keystruda). It really ruined me. My Cancer tripled in size and the side effects are horrible. Shortness of breath, very bad balance..... so bad I need to use a Cane. My ear turned black and there isn't much left of it. I could go on for 5 pages on the side effects but I won't do that to you. I finally decided I am getting off the Couch and doing something so I tossed my gear and my 222 in my truck and out the door I went. I now have a dark charcoal colored spot in my right Eye. Luckily it is just below the sight line so I can still see through the scope. I bet you could put the worst shot you know behind this Rifle and he would shoot clover leaves. I shot 5 three shot groups at 100 yards and one had 2 holes in it. This gun just shoots that well. I can't wait for the eastern shoot. I aint bragging just sayin

Well told the people in Philly I am done with them and tomorrow I start Radiation here in Freehold NJ. Monday thru Friday for at least 20 treatments. Radiation has worked for me before it is just very painful. But I can't wait to get started.

Last edited by Stevo; 05-02-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Default Got to punch some paper Saturday

Good you got out Steve.. Hope it is a good uphill go, and all turns out well, in the long run. Hang positive.. All the best, for you and your family.. All will pull through. Bill K
Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 PM

Stevo, sorry to hear your news and your problems with Keytruda. I agree, the side effects can be gruesome. Best wishes with the radiation treatments.

Did they test your system for the relevant DNA markers before picking the drug? Opdivo or Yervoy might be another choice. The immunology doctors and researchers are learning about the side effects as time goes on and they learn more about how they work with the immune system.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Supporting Member

The drug had effected my thinking too. Sometimes I would be sitting here watching a tv show and just start crying for no reason. I couldn't remember things I did yesterday. I shook terribly and my joints and some Muscles hurt bad.

I went to Jefferson for my 3rd dose and saw the Doctor before they started. She asked me all the questions she had asked every other time. Then in the middle of a sentence I stopped her. I asked her to come closer to me as she was on a wheeled chair. I asked her again until she was like a foot away. I pulled the bandage off my head and face and said "Please show me one place on my body where this medicine has made an improvement in my condition. Just one little spot that hasn't grown or gotten worse". It was then that she said she couldn't and I could see a tear well up in her eye. I told her if I continue on this medicine and it does what it has done to me for the past 9 weeks it will kill me. I am not going to take that chance. I quit.

That was it. My Radiologist told me we can treat and get rid of the two Tumors on my Head and face. The Ear we will wait for now and see how it heals.

So that's where I am. I can't wait to start. He has rid me of Cancer before with Radiation. Yes it is very painful but hey it works. Nothing they did for me a Jefferson had any good effects.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:25 AM
Supporting Member

Praying for you my friend. If you need any help let me know as we ain't far apart.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 AM
Supporting Member

Thank you Mr.M your a very generous guy.

You know there comes a part in any serious disease when the patient needs to take the reins. I am at that point. It sure was fun sitting at the bench and even the AR fella showering me with Brass didn't bother me. I had to do the Chrony work the next day over at my friends farm.

First round out was 3537fps. The Hogden site claimed 3371fps. I did Taper Crimp the rounds. All the others were in the 3500fps range which I was really delighted about. I just plain love shooting this Rifle. The heavy barrel help with heating up and harmonics. You would not want to use it as a long distance walking gun as it is heavy. It does everything I hoped for as a Calling gun or looking for Groundhogs and doing little sneaks.

So now back to my Browning Medalion in .243. I will stay on it until I get it to shoot like I want it too. Going to start fresh and pull everything I have. I would really like to get it to shoot 58gr BTHP's. I can get it to shoot 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups with 87gr Bullets. Good enough for Deer but I think playing with another powder and a chamber gauge to get it right up to the lands then pull it back a bit. The Gun is brand new and was shot 8 times before I traded my Rem 700 in 7mm 08 for it.
When I get this Rifle where I want it I have been saving my Nickles and Dimes and my 17-223 is off to Ohio to become a 20 Practical. I know you haven't said anything because of my illness and money situation and I reall appreciate it Adam. The day I have everything like my ducks lined in a row off to Ohio it goes.

What are you guys using for your .243'? I have tried Varget and H4895 so far with no luck. Hornady BTHP's.

The longer I am off this Chemo the better I will feel. Doctor said side effects could last 4-6 weeks.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:41 AM

Default Got to punch some paper saturday

Steve. I can tell you from experience, that Chemo takes a few weeks to wear out of the system. The wife with her breast cancer , surgery and treatment, was sick, on and off, for about a month after chemo was stopped. So hang in there and keep enjoying getting out to work those weapons, even if someone does spray you with 5.56's.. Bill K
Old 05-03-2017, 03:33 AM

Imr 3031 is my go to powder in the 243. Everything from 55 gr to 95 gr bullets
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 05-03-2017, 03:42 AM

Stevo,

Its hard for me to even imagine what I could say to you in your current situation that would be of comfort. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your attitude is amazing and it sounds like you are a fighter. God Bless You!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Bravo Stevo - best wishes for you and your family. Perhaps doing what you want & what makes you happy, is the best medicine at this point.