Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-20-2019, 01:43 PM
Supporting Member

A Jeep makes the most sense from an economics standpoint. ATV's are ridiculously priced for a vehicle with no heat, doors/windows etc.

If you want an ATV for hunting/work-make sure you buy a two seat side by side, not a regular ATV.

Between your two choices-Honda-but make sure you factor in having a good servicing dealer nearby no matter what brand you choose.

I have owned: a Yamaha Grizzly 600, a Kawasaki V-twin Prairie 700, and 2 Yamaha Grizzly 700's with EPS. All the above were regular ATV's. I have owned a Polaris XP 900 with power steering. Before you buy a Polaris, drive one. After owning the Yamaha Grizzlies, I hated it.

I still own a Polaris Ranger Li Ion. The max speed is 25 mph, it goes 50 miles on a charge, and was expensive-23K. If the utmost stealth is required and will not be hauled around a lot and you can live with it's limitations, it is great. It's like a 4 WD golf cart.

I also bought a brand new 2009 Jeep Rubicon and had it vinyl wrapped in camo for +3K-when I sold it I lost a bundle.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Supporting Member

Since Jeeps have been mentioned, has anyone tried one of these?

https://carbuzz.com/news/mahindra-ro...here-s-a-catch

https://www.belmontebikes.com/produc...d-utv-paz125-1

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-20-2019, 03:43 PM

I rode Polaris ATV's for years... until I got a CanAm. It was like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac. I have a CanAm Outlander Max XT 650, which is a "two up" machine. I absolutely love the smoothness and the fit and finish are spectacular. My Polaris machines vibrated so bad things would start to loosen up and I would have to go around them all the time with a wrench and screwdriver tightening things up.

I do not have a side by side today but if I were to buy one today it would be a CanAm Defender HD10 Full Cab. I have a couple of friends who have them and they are very, very nice UTV's. That being said, as has been pointed about above, at the prices they go for ($25k), you might look at getting a Jeep Wrangler.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Foxhunter, interesting note on the Polaris battery issue. I'm constantly fighting dead batteries in my 500ATP. Probably been thru 3 or 4 in the last 10 years and due for another the way it looked last weekend.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Polaris 6x6 is the workhorse of single seater ATVs IMO.

It will go where others won't bushwhacking in the brush and it's ride is superior due to it's long wheelbase and suspension system.

Dump box carries up to 800 pounds IIRC.

For PDs an 8 inch high 4'x4' box slips into those stake pockets. Guns and gear ride protected from elements and the 4'x4' top provides a 360 shooting table for bipod and rear bag. Cartridge boxes, small cooler, bino's, etc. ride in another box built for the front carrier rack not pictured.

Last edited by Ricco1949; 11-20-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Supporting Member

My father and I both have Polaris ATV's, his is the 500 HO and I have the 1000xp, and outside of regular maintenance they've provided no trouble. That being said, I grew up on Honda ATV's, ATC's, and dirt bikes. When it comes to single cylinder off road vehicles they are one of the most reliable machines on the planet and if I were to do it all over again, I'd skip the Polaris and get two Hondas.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

First off, I know nothing about these toys you guys are discussing.

My next door neighbor and four others were in or on a Polaris 5 or 6
seater coming down the cog rail siding off Pikes Peak from a days work
rebuilding the trackway July 17th, 2019. You can read about it by doing a
search. I believe it was a xl 1000. That's explained in the story too.
This was a crew wagon up and down the hill.

He said: "the transmission broke and the driver couldn't get it stopped before
the brakes burned up. They had a very fast runaway and flipped it several times.

One man had his throat cut to the bone and died, all the others had either
broken necks, or broken backs plus a bunch of broken ribs, arms, legs and hide torn
off. Jaime had his back broken 3 places, 4 ribs busted and torn rotator. Very
doubtful any of them will ever work again.

Other than what he told me happened, and reading the article that's all I know about it.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 11-23-2019 at 11:57 PM. Reason: correction to date
Old 11-21-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Hello guys,
forgive me if anyone feels this is out of place, but you guys are a group of guys whose advice I value.

Basically I'm in search of a 4 wheel drive work/hunting duty ATV. I'm debating between Can-am versus Honda. I know you can ask 5 different guys and you'll most likely receive 5 different opinions.

I'm not looking to spark a controversy by any means, so please don't call out another persons opinion.

Thanks in advance,
Stan
If those are your two choices, Honda for sure.

I have 4 Yamahas for the family and work. I use a quad for work probably 50-60 days a year. Yamaha for me.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks much for the response guys, there's many choices out there and maybe a UTV is in the future, but at this point I wouldn't use it near enough to justify the higher cost. I should have been maybe more specific, I'm looking for used machine at this point.

I currently ride a Honda 250R ATC for fun and always had good luck with Honda engines in particular (construction).

Ricco1949, my father inlaw owned a Polaris 6X6 for a few years, that thing was a beast, compares with the John Deere Gators.

Thanks again guys,
Stan
Old 11-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Hi Stan,

Often used atvs are either beat to hell or hardly used.

Familiarize yourself with how to determine if the atv has been sunk in water, and I would stay away from any that have been modified or show any signs of abuse. Also look carefully for any suspicious weld repairs. Personally, I would avoid any atv that has any signs of rough use, and wait for a lightly used/ like new one- they are out there. I’d rather spend more at purchase than for repairs.

I have a 2000 Honda Rancher 4x4, 2009 Polaris RZR and a Kubota RTV. They all have their pros and cons. The side x sides are most practical for me and get the most use.

I would certainly prefer to buy another Honda product and would recommend them. I like Honda’s reliability, ruggedness and overall quality to be excellent.