Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2020, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben lurkin View Post
I’ve a sako L461 in 223 and saw one for sale recently in a FB configuration. Does the FB case feed out of the mag box well in those? I’m trying to keep this in the 6-7# range less optics & mounts. I really like mine in 223.

I’ve had a few CZ 527s. I’m down to one in 17 hornet currently. I’m considering this as the base gun pretty hard right now but the safety is backwards as most of you know already.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Howa Mini? $1500 or so is what I’m trying to stay within but willing to go more if necessary.
I think that Howa and CZ are similar. However, CZ wins out because there are a number of aftermarket stocks, fine factory trigger, quality metal magazines, and gunsmiths familiar with working on them. Howa has been plagued with QC issues around their plastic magazines, with touchy reliability for feeding rounds. There are some threads on the Howa Mini-actions challenges. I keep waiting for an aftermarket metal magazine so that I can pull my Howa Mini out if its box and start shooting it.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:14 AM

The Sako actions work perfectly for the fireball case. Had Kevin Weaver rechamber my Pac-Nor from 223 to 221 Fireball and its a shooter with Lil gun and 40 Vmaxes...

My Cooper 17 fireball took a little bit of time to get a load dialed in. Im using Nosler brass as well. Went through a bunch of powders and bullets combo's and finally with the advice of a friend did a primer test on a load that showed promise but could never get it .5 MOA. I tried CCI,Win and Rem 7.5 and the Winchesters shined. It made me a believer that primers are just as important as powder and bullet combos....

Old 01-06-2020, 03:04 AM

That they can be, just like which powder or bullet and seating depth can be, A person just has to work with more than one and find the combo your rifle or even handgun likes best. Bill K
Old 01-06-2020, 03:07 AM

I have had a real difficult time getting my Fireball to shoot well. I have never had this bad an issue with other rifles. I have two. I had one rebarreled to a Shilen Barrel in hopes to get it shooting.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 AM

[

It seems the thread has drifted away from my original ask. Any thoughts regarding a small bolt action receiver that would suit are appreciated.[/quote]

Any of the repeaters being sold that use and feed the 300 black out (since it is on the 221fb size case ) would be one to consider and just change out the barrel to 17 FB. Bill K

You might start by looking at the Howa Mini action in 300BO.

Last edited by Bill K; 01-06-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Default It’s magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
The Sako actions work perfectly for the fireball case. Had Kevin Weaver rechamber my Pac-Nor from 223 to 221 Fireball and its a shooter with Lil gun and 40 Vmaxes...

My Cooper 17 fireball took a little bit of time to get a load dialed in. Im using Nosler brass as well. Went through a bunch of powders and bullets combo's and finally with the advice of a friend did a primer test on a load that showed promise but could never get it .5 MOA. I tried CCI,Win and Rem 7.5 and the Winchesters shined. It made me a believer that primers are just as important as powder and bullet combos....

Smoke and mirrors my friend, now how bout them 25HP’s?
Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM

25HPs are for sissys...... ;-)