Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Hi Luke. I live in England and make 30g .17 cal bullets. Unfortunately George is correct Berger/J4 who make the jackets most hand swagers use no longer make the .635 jacket that the 30g bullet was made on. Fortunately there are about 5000 jackets in a J4 bucket and i have about half one left. I think they only make a .560 long jackets in .17 now, that would maybe make you 30g bullet but it would probably have a leadtip. As George says also you can draw .20 or .224 jackets, ihave not tried .20s as they are quite hard to get but have used .224 ones and they work quite well but you do have to trim them to length as well. Bullet making is not for everyone as at times it can wear you elbow out and give you arms like popeye. To make a lead tipped .17 bullet from a .224 jacket takes i think 6/7 cycles of the press.Am in spain on holliday at moment playing hunt the free wifi am back tomorrow if you want to ask anything.
Don
Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Hi Don,
I'll buy a couple of your excellent 6 mm x 68 grain bullets if you have any to spare.
Regards,Ken.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

Don, You might be interested in my other post under 17-20 jacket question, we are planning on making 20's as we have had enough interest to make production #'s hope this eases some of the pain. Forecast next late spring hopefully....p.s. not so sure about j4 making most jackets used at this time they couldn't give away the short 6's they ran early summer. we can not make fast enough as quick as they are in they are sold mostly in advance, it was bound to happen j4 priced themselves out of market.

Last edited by george ulrich; 09-14-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: added
Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Default Amen

George they got greedy!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:13 PM

No problem Ken i think i have your address.George i would like some of you jackets very much, .17 if you do get to make some or .20 to draw down when they are availlable. I would also like to try some of your 6mm and .30s. I had seen on the internet that there are a few more people starting to make jackets which can only be good.Have been trying to get some .825 in 6mm for some time nobody seems to have any or even a date when they will. I agree about the price hike they seemed to double over night.I pm'd you about some dies last week George am back home now so will be in touch again as soon as i get over first day back to work.Don
Old 09-16-2014, 06:18 AM

Don,
I missed a word out of my last post. Should have said 'couple hundred'.
If you can do, let me know cost and I will get payment to you.
Regards,Ken.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:23 PM

Default thanks for all the info

Hi Lads
A big thanks for all the info and i don't think ill be getting in jacketed bullet making just yet , I managed to find a few box's of 30gr bergers that i have been using,

luke