Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20 Cal Muzzle brake or not?

I'm looking for some input if anyone has installed a muzzle brake on an 204 Ruger or a 20-223 AI? Been dog shooting by myself the last several days and loved the way I can watch shots with my 20 SCC and my 20 VT. Ran out of ammo and had to start using my 204 Cooper and 20-223 AI. The recoil is just enough that you loose the site picture and can't see where you're hitting. Am thinking I may want to install a couple brakes to see if that solves the site picture issue with the larger cal. 20's Any input would be appreciated. Rick
Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 PM

Fast. I put one on my 243 years ago when I hunted ground hogs alone so I could see my shots. Works perfect (BUT) hellish loud. Must have plugs in. Do it and you’ll love it. There’s nothing like watching shit blow up!!!!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Default 20 Cal Muzzle brake or not ?

The bark on the 204 & 20-223ai are pretty good as is, a muzzle brake will more than likely increase the noise.
I see most of my hits with by 204 or 20-223ai, without one, so my humble opinion is not worth the money. But we each pick and choose on our choices. Bill K
Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 PM

I always shoot with ear plugs or muffs, some of you 20 can be hard to see your hits. So if you wanna see them then do it, weight of rifle is a factor the only downside I se we is noise just make sure everybody has ear protection and nobody's beside you.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Supporting Member

I have a "different" view on this.

I shoot with both eyes open, and I believe that with my 17hh, 17 FB and 20VT I blink and actually see "flight lessons" through mostly my left eye. It may be my perception, but I believe I blink long enough to not actually see impact, but I think I see pieces and hear the thwump more than anything, a lot of times big pieces outside the scope's view with my left eye.

But then, I am usually in " hurry up mode", and I barely have a relaxed shot, especially if I am staged next to my son and I am trying to get the kill before I see it from Michael's bullet ( usually my bullet he sent downrange, lol).

It is one of those things that doesn't matter as much as the number on my clicker. I see plenty of pieces, but I am not sure I see the plastic tip enter fur.

But I do know that using my 204 elevates the process, the barrel heats much faster, kicks more and I think the gun would have to be very front heavy to see the hit with MY eye-to-brain function.

I say try the brake, it sure made me shoot better groups with my 300 Weatherby.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:59 PM

I would try a compensator rather than a brake. they are a little milder on the blast yet still give notable recoil reduction with the smaller cartridges at least. I know there more "tacticool" but ones like the battle comp are quite effective.

You know you can have your cake and eat it too right... it's called a suppressor

ETA: just found this gem and the price is right https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...ad-ar-15-matte Other manufactures would call this a compensator fyi.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 07-05-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:10 AM

I have a couple of heavy barreled varmint rifles in 223. I can usually see the hits on PDs pretty easily. A couple of years ago, I bought a used Cooper M21 in 223 that has a Vais brake on it. I can see hits with it too, but the exhaust gases from the brake really causes a lot of distortion and 'mirage' when trying to see hits. It really decreases the ability to see the aerobatics. I need to do a better comparison test with the brake on and off the rifle to make sure, but personally, I wouldn't spend the money.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:39 AM

I'd put a brake on it in a heart beat. I wear ear plugs while shooting.

Aaron
Old 07-06-2018, 01:56 AM

Phase 1-
Build it heavy and dial back as much as you can.
1" or straight bbl and lead in the stock.
That extra 5-6 lbs makes a HUGE difference.

Phase 2-
Flat wide offset foreend.
(not that 20's have much torque)

Phase 3- Compensator/brake.

Mossberg MVP Varmint 20P 1" diameter 24" long bbl, about 8 lbs, difficult to see hits.
Savage large shank 20P straight 1.125" bbl 26" long in a HS stock about 14 lbs see everything.

Last edited by GrocMax; 07-06-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:23 AM

I put a Harrel's radial on a 21" Sendero 20P in an H.S. stock. It hardly moves.