Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM

I think most of it has been covered already, but one thing you could also try is slightly belling the case mouth. This mainly helps when seating cast bullets, so that the case mouth doesn't shave lead. It also seems to help low pressure loads seal.

The soot is just messy. Once in a while you might see dents in the brass from this gas pushing between the chamber and the case. Personally, I would try more powder. It could be just as accurate.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:29 PM

In handgun cases, TB is dirty. Low pressure, too-hard case mouths (for the pressure generated) is usually the culprit.
Tin Star by Norma is normally a better choice, I am told, in CB action guns.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:54 AM

Thanks guys, your the best!

I realize I won't get much more out of trailboss in terms of bullet expansion. Going to try some imr4227 or maybe pick up some A #9 or Longshot as suggested.

JSH- did you try the Hornady xtp 60gr bullets? Hodgdon states CFE pistol will get a 85gr xtp going 1600fps out of a 5" barrel, I would imagine a 60gr xtp out of the carbine could reach well over 2000fps Maybe 2200/2300? Surely this would be plenty for fragmenting that little bullet

Tinstar always peaked my interest but its not easy to find.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I agree with flyrod you could get dented cases from low pressure not expanding the case against the chamber walls and sealing the chamber. had that happen on a bottle neck cartridge we throated but didn't up the powder charge.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:52 PM

I would be concerned as Trail Boss is a known for excessive pressure. Are you using a published load or winging it?
Old 10-26-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Soot ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I would be concerned as Trail Boss is a known for excessive pressure. Are you using a published load or winging it?
Never heard that one before. Always heard one good reason to use Trailboss, was that fact that you could not get a double charge or excessive pressure with it, due to it's makeup, size and shape of grains and all. Interesting. Bill K
Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Supporting Member

The dented case bodies are usually from the case necks not sealing against the chamber neck area because of low charge pressures, burnt gases blowing back into the chamber and denting the case bodies. Pretty strange stuff.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:22 PM

Will the henry cycle the shorter rounds (32 H&R or .32 S&W long)? If it will, you might find they're a little more efficient at the lower pressures.

Starline brass isn't annealed, so annealing the case mouth might also solve the sooting issue.

I shoot some pretty sooty loads sometimes, but It's never been much issue for me, I just clean a little more regularly.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:49 PM

It can shoot 32 H&R as well as 327 fed mag. Not sure how 32 S&W will cycle?

DoubleD- always use only loads from your manual! Also educate yourself as much as possible on powder speeds and pressures! There is no such thing as "winging it"

Just as an example- from data on Hodgdon's site. 327 fed mag using trail boss, the highest pressure is roughly 19,000 psi where Longshot produces 43,000 psi.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 PM

When Trail Boss first came out and the guidelines for how create your own loads were published there was some testing done using piezoelectric pressure testing equipment in the Double Gun Journal of large British Double rifle Cartridges using Trail Boss

The test showed the pressures recorded were excessively high for the velocities achieved. They pressures were not dangerously high for the gun or cartridge, they were just way higher than what was normally expected with other powders for the velocity. The why of that was never explained. It was suggested that caution should be used with Trail Boss in these Cartridge.

I myself found I could get better accuracy with the Swiss 1 1/2 Fg in my 577/450 Martini than I could with Trail Boss. I did find Trail Boss worked real well in my .310 Cadet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post

DoubleD- always use only loads from your manual! Also educate yourself as much as possible on powder speeds and pressures! There is no such thing as "winging it"
My question was for the OP.

If he was using published loods and getting soot, then he needs to look at other variables such hard or heavy brass for example.

There certainly is "winging it" Back in the 80's when I ran a Gun Repair shop fixed a lot of guns from people who winged it.

As i mentioned above when Trail Boss first came out the published a criteria for determining loads for various cartridges, so everyone could "wing it" and load Trail Boss.

Last edited by Double D; 10-28-2018 at 12:30 PM.