Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-19-2019, 07:21 PM

One day when I was visiting McGowen Barrels, I was making some sample action parts for them, they took me through their barrel operation. I was surprised to see Cooper Rifles listed on a shipping tag of a pallet of barrels waiting for pickup. I know nothing more than that as nothing was offered and I did not think that it was my place to ask. I was just delighted to be working with them.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 01-19-2019, 08:58 PM

Back to Qs question : have any of you guys with older Coopers seen any IDs of any sort on the Barrels ? Just curious since I can't remember if I asked Dan that question or not . Guess I will call Cooper next week and ask them ( if there are any old-timers still around ) .

Last edited by xring; 01-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
Back to Qs question : have any of you guys with older Coopers seen any IDs of any sort on the Barrels ? Just curious since I can't remember if I asked Dan that question or not . Guess I will call Cooper next week and ask them ( if there are any old-timers still around ) .
I have quite a few Cooper's, and all of mine have the serial number stamped on the underside of the barrel. Other than that, there are no other markings, except the usual chambering/Cooper arms stamping on the side.

I just checked all my barrels, and they all are six groove, except that one three groove from the mid nineties.

Could any of you that own .17, and .20 caliber Cooper's, check to see how many grooves the barrels have? I have a feeling that will be an easy way to identify which manufacturer's barrel the gun came with. Thanks
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 PM

Cooper was running on such a financial shoestring in its early years that it is impossible to say with any certainity whose barrels may have been on a rifle built then. It was more of a case of which barrel manufacturer would sell them barrels on Coopers promise to pay them soon.

drover
Old 01-19-2019, 11:57 PM

I have an early .17 CCM rifle, #17-XX, and was told by Cooper long ago that the barrel was made by Wilson. I agree that they used other manufacturers' barrels off and on as time went on.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

they were all stainless
Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
they were all stainless
What was all stainless??
Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 AM

refers back to my previous post about the barrels I bought from Dan cooper. there was suppose to be a quote from the poster who wanted to know if they were stainless or blued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter
early barrels were Shilen according to what I was told in 1995. I bought a dozen barrels from Dan all at one time and he said they were using Shilen at hat time.
Were the barrels you bought stainless or blued?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default Cooper and Shilen

In 2001 I was walking through the Shilen plant in Ennis talking with Doug Shilen. He had worked on a DGA for me with their 2oz trigger and offered to give me a tour of the plant. We were standing in the "button room" and I asked him about their relationship with Cooper. He said they had sold approx 3-400 barrels over a short period of time with most of them being 22 caliber. They did not offer a 17cal 3 groove then and I don't believe they offer one today. Most sales to Cooper going forward were on a custom order basis by customer request and even those could be filled faster by companies that stock Shilen barrels which Cooper sometimes chose to do.

I had a M22 VE in 22-250, made in 1995 and in a discussion with Dan Pickett he said it probably came with a Shilen.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM

dan picket was an interesting guy to talk to. I believe he had a law enforcement background.