Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Supporting Member

Default Finally got one...

Hey All,

I know it is not a Wildcat and is almost considered a "Big Bore", but I thought I would share a small caliber that I'm pretty excited about. It is one of the original Brno ZKW-465 .22 Hornet Fox's! Wahoo!!!

I have been looking for the right one at the right price for some time. I already have a Brno ZKB-680 Fox II in .22 Hornet. It is a really great rifle and has a LUX Stock but I don't care for it as much as a 465. I like the balance, receiver, trigger, sights, stock shape and fit and finish of the 465 better. Not real fond of the silly butt plate on this one but that will be replaced back to OEM as soon as I can source the correct butt plate. Overall it seems to be in really great condition for a 61 year old rifle! Probably won't have it until near the middle of June though; that's okay, I've waited this long.

See what you think...

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up Schweeeeet!

That is a nice one, you a lucky guy...
Looks like the owner that installed that butt pad put it on to lengthen the pull. He definitly didn't do it because of the recoil.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Supporting Member

Default congrats!!!

Thats a beauty!!!I have one just like that and its the love of my life and is one heck of a shooter. Put a northwest Ohio ground hog down with one shot at 330 yards with that rifle.The balance is perfect and the action is the smoothest I have ever felt on a factory or custom rifle.I've been looking for another one so I can have one in a 17 AH!I hope you love shooting yours as much as I do mine.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Excellent find TOU, and yet another very clean ZKW465 - congrats. Great pictures of it too.

Mine is in excellent condition and has an unusual stock with a lot of dark/light color contrast and some curly figure. It wears a non-factory thin butt plate, and has a checkered steel grip cap somebody added. A friend went to the factory a few years ago and picked up for me the missing front sight hood for it, a brand new period correct factory sling and a set of the sleek steel Euro scope rings for it. With nobody to leave it to it'll be on the classifieds one of these days.

Not so good pictures of mine...
http://wildcalls2k.com/ads/zkw465.jpg
Old 05-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Supporting Member

A fair number of years back Ross Seyfried wrote a 2 piece article on the .22 Hornet. One part showed up one month in "Handloader" and the next part the following month in "Rifle".
It was that article that was the impetus for my getting an Anschutz Hornet and started my whole small caliber affliction in motion. The Hornet had fascinated me for years but that's the article that pushed me over the edge.
In the article he wrote about and tested a number of different guns but I remember him mentioning at length that his all time, very most favorite, .22 Hornet was the one you just got. Congrats!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Supporting Member

TOU,
From that early serial # i'm guessing 1949, why do you call it a "FOX"?
Was this a BRNO designation for the heavier stock version?
I am well aware of the late fox using a 223 magazine with blocks to allow for hornet & 222. This clearly is a standard hornet mag. A little education if you please.

This is identical to the unfired one I have, must say the quality of the cardboard used in the box and the paper in the instruction manual is poor. Just took so long to get it to burn whilst cleaning out rubbish in the shed.

Oh that one I pointed you to on the aussie auction I believe made $2,700.00AUD, would like to have seen it close up.

cheers
Johno
Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for your all's kind words...I'm pretty thrilled to be entrusted with this fine old firearm. As to the pictures, they are the ones sent by the seller via his iPhone...pretty amazing I thought considering they came from a phone.

I have to say I doubt I will ever K it or 17 AH it as it is just to nice, original and preserved. NOW...if I found one that was really beat, I wouldn't hesitate to. For now though, CZ 527's are just to easily obtainable if I must have a K or when I eventually go to a 17 AH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKW465 View Post
Put a northwest Ohio ground hog down with one shot at 330 yards with that rifle.
WOW!!! Nice shot!

Quote:
The balance is perfect and the action is the smoothest I have ever felt on a factory or custom rifle.
I agree...it's really hard to explain to folks that have never handled and shouldered one. The Brno Model #1 in 22 LR which the 465 was modeled after is much the same to me...NOTHING fells like it.

Here is a picture of the two side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladobe View Post
Mine is in excellent condition and has an unusual stock with a lot of dark/light color contrast and some curly figure. It wears a non-factory thin butt plate, and has a checkered steel grip cap somebody added. A friend went to the factory a few years ago and picked up for me the missing front sight hood for it, a brand new period correct factory sling and a set of the sleek steel Euro scope rings for it. With nobody to leave it to it'll be on the classifieds one of these days.
Ladobe...BEAUTIFUL rifle!!! You know who to PM if you ever decide to move it.

One of the hardest things in looking for one of these is trying to find one that is either not beat or not too altered. It is really tough when most of the are 50-60 years young. I think though, that I may have a line on a OEM butt plate and that seems easily rectified back to OEM. BTW, mine too is missing the front sight hood...SOOO common for these as well as Model #1's, #2's & #5's. I think many get puled off and are likely at the bottom of many a soft rifle case. Thankfully this one still has the rear sights that so many remove...then put in a safe place...and then promptly loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montdoug View Post
A fair number of years back Ross Seyfried wrote a 2 piece article on the .22 Hornet. One part showed up one month in "Handloader" and the next part the following month in "Rifle".
It was that article that was the impetus for my getting an Anschutz Hornet and started my whole small caliber affliction in motion. The Hornet had fascinated me for years but that's the article that pushed me over the edge.
In the article he wrote about and tested a number of different guns but I remember him mentioning at length that his all time, very most favorite, .22 Hornet was the one you just got. Congrats!
Great input Doug, thx. I would really love to read these articles...so if any one ever comes across them, let me know. Of note, I have many praise this Hornet over all others for several reasons. Love'm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
TOU,
From that early serial # i'm guessing 1949, why do you call it a "FOX"?
Was this a BRNO designation for the heavier stock version?
I am well aware of the late fox using a 223 magazine with blocks to allow for hornet & 222. This clearly is a standard hornet mag. A little education if you please.
Hey Johno...I'm not sure I am truly the one to educate on this matter but I have just heard the 680's referred to as the "Fox II's" and the 465's as "Fox's". Whether the that is an official name for the 465 or just a nickname, I know not...just that I have heard them referred to this way on many occasions. If I am wrong on this feel free to let me know.

Quote:
This is identical to the unfired one I have, must say the quality of the cardboard used in the box and the paper in the instruction manual is poor. Just took so long to get it to burn whilst cleaning out rubbish in the shed.
Cool that you still have one...I had not remembered that. You really need to share with folks that "K'd" one you sold. BEAUTIFUL...BEAUTIFUL rifle!

Quote:
Oh that one I pointed you to on the aussie auction I believe made $2,700.00AUD, would like to have seen it close up.
Agreed! But waaaaay to rich for my blood.

Thx again for all your feedback...hopefuly I will get a chance to shoot it sooner than later.

Best Regards,

TOU

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Tou,
Good read, and great feedback from all the people - I am from Australia -(Victoria) I have a ZKM 465 - honey wood colour - smooth as silk with a Shilen 17AH barrel - great shooter - I also have a '72 version "Fox" in .222R - great shooter (all original - dents n all!) also a
1954 Model 1 - accurate and stock and bluing as new!
I am after a 22 Hornet and also a Model 2 and 5 to add to my collection.
When I look at new Rifle's today - I just shake my head and walk away!!!
The Brno's are Custom, compared to the new stuff today!
Great pictures - enjoy it.
We are only custodians until the next owner.
Ciao - Joe
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Supporting Member

Joe,
Got a model 2 here that would make you weep.
Moving back to Victoria this year if this place sells. I'll keep you in mind if I sell

cheers
Johno
Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 AM

Default Brno zkm 465

Hey Johno,
Looks like I may have got onto a 1967 Model 2 today - stock has some marks - going to shoot some targets early tomorrow - if it shoots - I will take it - under $300.
Screws unmarked and original sling.
But on the look out for a Model 5 !?
Tou - whats the supply like for Brnos in the States??
Cheers - Joe