Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default Should I buy this?

I found a Cooper model 16, in 223WSSM for 750, plus 7% IA sales tax, right near 800 total. Was thinking I could just rebarrel it, but the boltface creates a problem. Maybe I could turn, and earn?

Let me know your thoughts...

TIA

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member

Default wssm

I know this caliber is a barrel burners if you are thinking of a PD rifle. What would you have in re-barrel, $400 installed? plus $800= $1200 Bolt change $200?

You can order a new one for nearly that much change. My Opinion.

Bob
Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

I never thought I'd hear myself saying this about a "Should I buy this?" question but I'd have to say "no". (I can't believe I just said that ).
Personal opinion only but even an over-bore freak like myself has to draw the line somewhere, any of the WSM's would sure be beyond that line for me.
Way to many $$$ to make it something that would get my attention. Just my opinion and no insult intended anyone who happens to like WSM's. Poor misguided souls that they are .
Just a little levity there Foxhunter should you happen to catch this .
Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Doug,

The brass sucks for the WSSM. I know know of many custom gun that would not shoot the 223 and 243 wssm. And like you said, rebarrel you need something that took a Mag bolt face.

Mark Schronce
Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Supporting Member

buy it and sell it for more. Someone out there like overbore more than us. Adam
Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM

Larry,
Depends on what your use for it would be. Nothing wrong with a WSSM for predator or even ground hog hunting where it may take years to shoot enough rounds for the barrel to drop off. Then you could always rechamber or rebarrel at that time if wanted it to be the same or a more suitable for Skippy or other high volume shooting cartridge. Several pards with 223WSSM's have not burned out their barrels yet, and they've had them for 5-6 years.

I bought a new Win 70 FCD 243WSSM just for coyotes that usually hung up at long range because the ranch hands took pot shots at them all of the time at a couple of ranches that I did the ADC at. Never got to use it because of health issues, but it would have got the job done in spades and I doubt I ever would have worn out the barrel.

If you do buy the rifle and need it I have about 500 223WSSM brass.
Larry
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to 17 Hunter

i almost bought a used 223 wssm last year but when the seller couldn't tell me a round count i knew something was up. from what i hear it's not a very accurate round anyways. i'd rather go something custom, like a 22-6mm or something similar
Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM

Due to Indiana's quirky deer hunting laws, (they don't allow MOST rifles) the hot ticket around here (actually, across the river) is to neck UP the WSSM case to .35, which IS allowed, for use deer hunting. It makes something sorta like a cross between the .35 Remington or .358 Winchester (not allowed, the cases are too long), but with a short-enough case to be legal. Confusing, isn't it? I can't figure it all out, and don't need to, living in Kentucky, but apparently enough guys over there ARE building .35 WSSMs, that it's becoming the "hot ticket item".

Otherwise, I wouldn't give a nickel for a traincar load of WSSMs, Coopers, Brownings, or Winchesters notwithstanding.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default 2 in one gun,,,first and last

i bought a new model 70 heavy barrel a few years back in 22wssm and i could put a 55gr vmax into a target completely sideway at 75 yards over 4000fps.....when i could actually hit the target, this was before i got to 300 on the round count, dont want anymore.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Supporting Member

I was going to mention the 35IDH, Indiana Deer Hunter. Adam