Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 AM

The WSSMare also ashorter action length than the standard short actions. Be careful to research any rounds thoroughly if you want t o buy it for a donor action.

The 35IDH exists to slide through a loophole in the IN hunting regs. IN does not allow normal rifle calibers for deer. Pistol rounds in a rifle, such as 357, 44Mag, 45 Colt, etc., have only been legal for a couple of years. Somehow, the 35IDH is sliding through the specific dimensional info in the hunting regs for caliber and case length. I would hate to have to challenge a grumpy game warden to see if he felt it were legal.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

I can't hunt deer here with a rifle, MN, WI, and MO all allow it, but I don't partake. My rifle hunting consists of an annual shoot for PD's once a year, and a little time on the bench, whenever i can get out there. I think it is wise I pass on it. I was thinking I could trade one of my CZ's on it, and be in for a couple hundred. My CZ's all shoot lights out, so they will stay. I was thinking I had heard they were barrel buners, and wanted to check with you guys before I went and did something that cost me more than I gained.

Thanks for all the input.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 06-10-2010, 02:49 AM
Supporting Member

Would make a dandy 7mm Dakota For charging yotes
Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default ML...

See, this is what i like about you guys...I have a 22-250...that is my BIG BORE! I want to build a bigger one, but was thinking more along the lines of a 25-06, either std, or AI.

I have NO experience with anything other than that, and the smallies we discuss here.

Make way for the green horn! Green horn, coming through! make way for the green horn.

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 AM

So you already have an over bore 22-250, have decided to pass on another one in 223WSSM so you can build yet a different over bore in 25-06. LOL
Few would argue that the 22-250 and 25-06 are not fine cartridges that have been tamed by the right combinations of today’s available powers. The inefficiencies of WSSM's can also be tamed as well with the right powders and loads same as they were. Have fun whatever you do with your first big bore.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinIA View Post
I found a Cooper model 16, in 223WSSM for 750, plus 7% IA sales tax, right near 800 total.
Got any idea what twist rate barrel they put on these?

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Just buy the thing and rebarrel it to a 20WSSM or even better yet 17WSSM. Enjoy knowing that you are probably the only one with a 20 or 17WSSM and let the fire fly! I have seen more money spent on dumber projects on this board.
If you don't buy it, you may regret it, I have a feeling Trottleg is getting very close to finding the right powder for his 20/06. Larry, I love your projects and always look forward to what you will do next.