Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Default Field Vehicles

Different parts of the Country. Is there one vehicle that does them all. Out West it's all about how many gallons and long the road is, I'm a field engineer so an 800 mile turn around trip happens, going on another one to Nevada in a few weeks.

What you guys in the Mid-West and back East use for short and long trips to the shooting areas.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Question

I use a modified Club Car electric Golf cart for prarrie dogs, but only cover 5 miles,on any day.Can't imagine anything that can go 800 miles.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM

States have some big and smaller rigs for hunting I've had a Suburban and a Ford Bronco the real one. Now I have a 94 GMC long bed 220000+ miles runs like a beast long as feed it.

Like to see what the Aussies and Zealanders drive around on their turnarounds, Seen a few look like Rhinos on wheels like in Africa. Ooye.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Stephen,

For me one of the best bargains is a late-model (1999-2007) Toyota Land Cruiser. I have two of these and am looking at another for my son. They are THE best 4-wheel drive vehicle and are waaaayy over-built.

I get 18 miles per gallon on highway driving and the comfort is plush. It is the best vehicle for all around performance. Others may beat its gas mileage, but that is its only short-coming. But, compared to all it can do, it is an amazing truck. It would sure make an 800 mile trip a comfortable one.

My 1999 "Elsie" is just as capable as a new $80K but only cost me $12K, with 160K miles (just broken-in).

These vehicles last hundreds of thousands of miles and are rated the most articulated of any commercial vehicle. Toyota builds all the their vehicles to consumer demand, as to accessories and options. The LC is built with just about everything standard and at a high premium level. This is because the driving customer base, the Oil Sheiks, buy the most number and they request ALL options. They are preferred by companies and government that need the most dependable vehicle. They are the primary vehicle in Antarctica for passengers-they use tracks and tires, interchangeably,depending on the ice conditions.

Read some of the internet sites dedicated to the LC, and you will see why they are so sought after.

JMHO,

Bill

P.S. You could get a Mercedes UNIMOG! They are sooo COOL! But, I was thinking you wanted a vehicle under a $100K!

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 06-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:46 PM

I will read the back-up data William. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Supporting Member

OK here's mine
1993 3/4T Suburban, 4BT cummins with a Dodge 47RH tranny. My oldest son (in green sweat shirt) built the motor and installed it for me. Picture was taken Antelope hunting in Wyoming. I get 24-26 mpg with a 40 gallon tank I don't have to filll up very often.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM

Stephen,
I just noticed you are in Upland!
I grew up in Ontario-went to Chaffee HS-lived three houses away from the campus when it was a land-grant Junior College. Those Chaffee Brothers (Aussie Engineers) had a great vision for that area. It was a Wonderful place for a kid to grow up! Loved that area then: Kids on bikes with bats & gloves....
Bill

HL, That is a NICE Rig! And a great Son! That is how GM should build the Suburban!!!
Bill

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 06-03-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet lover View Post
OK here's mine
1993 3/4T Suburban, 4BT cummins with a Dodge 47RH tranny. My oldest son (in green sweat shirt) built the motor and installed it for me. Picture was taken Antelope hunting in Wyoming. I get 24-26 mpg with a 40 gallon tank I don't have to filll up very often.
Those 4BT motors are pretty sweet and seem to (as I have read many places) get pretty darn good gas mileage in larger rigs. There was this one guy I read about who had an 88 K-5 Blazer with one installed and was getting 24-25 mpg with 35" tall tires and a lift..... I have to drive an S-10 with 2.2 and a 5 speed in it to get that mileage (well, a little better)
Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Supporting Member

My best recorded mileage was 28 Portland to Spokane I keep it at 65 which is hard to do at times. This will pull a 12000 trailer with ease. Last trip to Wyoming with 5 adults pulling a 12" cargo trailer I returned going over the Big Horns then Yellowstone I averaged 19 for the whole trip.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:28 AM

William
Graduated Chaffey High in 1968. Went to school with Gary Ovitt. Chaffey High is a classic 1920/1930 high like Pasadena high schools. I live 2 blocks off Euclid Ave in Upland. Temperate weather 70 deg most of year some 100 deg. Nice fruit trees. The Chaffey Brothers did leave us with a legacy. NASCAR race fans will notice the panoramic views of the San Bernardino Valley, a nice place to work and live.

Stephen Perry