Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 AM

Default Soot?

Asking the wise-

Loaded some reduced 327 fed mag with trailboss Rem 6 1/2 primers and 60gr xtp no crimp. Coming out of a Henry carbine.

The cases are very sooty. I still have room to up the charge and maybe get a seal but is it even a big deal at all in any way if I just deal with sooty cases as the load is very accurate.

I'm just asking for a bit of education on soot, lol. I know it is due to the brass not expanding properly in the chamber due to such reduced loading but I'm no expert and not sure if there are other reasons and if it is even that big of a deal other than dirty cases to clean there after?

Or can there be a remedy such as using magnum primers?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

Soot is usually from burnt powder getting back from the neck and probably caused when neck isn't expanding enough from the lower powder charge.
It's accurate so up the charge or live with it. Me? Live with it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:07 AM

Its damn accurate, one hole groups at 25yds, like shooting a high quality air rifle but with soot, lol..

Seriously though, no real down side other than dirty cases?
Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 AM

Default Soot ?

I think the same, soot is from the light charge and Trailboss will do that. But if my loads are accurate for the ranges I want the light charges for, so what if the case is sooty.
I just ripe them off, prior to reloading and don't worry about it.
You might try a little heavier charge, if safe and see if that works better for you, but accuracy is always first. Bill K
Old 10-25-2018, 02:32 AM

I agree with the sooty case being from low powder. Just another factor may be if there are many reloads on that brass. Annealing the necks might help by softening the necks and get the cases to seal better. Anneal a few cases and see if it helps.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:10 AM

agree with the others. just not enough pressure to get case seal. annealing may cure your issues. it could also have generous chambers which further complicate things.

Shouldn't cause any issues unless you start getting stuck cases or hard to chamber due to the dirty chamber.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:51 AM

Brand spanking new Starline brass, first straight wall reload for me...

Hard to believe how accurate the load is hence why I'm questioning if the soot will be a problem or is a problem, but from what your guys are pointing out I suppose soot away.

The Hornady 60gr xtp are only .311 but yield pretty deep rifling from the bullets I managed to collect. Gonna run them over the chrony soon. Not much expansion at all. Going to run the 60grs til I get complete fragmentation.

Should make one hell of a close range coyote rifle?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 AM

After having played with the 32's(32-20,30-20,32SW,32HR,327) for a number of years with about all variances of bullet weights and loads, low pressure for sure.

I won't say yeah or neigh on what it will hurt. Low pressure loads can be as bad as high pressure loads.

I really doubt you will get enough speed with trail boss to fragment that bullet. Want a good powder for the 327, buy a pound of long shot and look no further.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:28 AM

Default Just got a new Marlin....

Lever guns are a lot of fun!Glad Henry is offering a 327 and the 41 mag.
I think you might benefit from a crimp and to slowly work up to the next accuracy node,chronographing the loads will help you too in your guest to see just how accurate that baby is.I bet you will find she is accurate going a bit faster too.
Matt
Old 10-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Supporting Member

Something else you might try? Up the powder charge and look for a higher node. Keep what you got but know there is a higher node that may be just as accurate. Won't know till you try.