Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Supporting Member

Nothing Better than a Lucas bore guide in my opinion

ML
Old 06-26-2019, 02:50 PM

The old benchrest design has been around a long time. Mike L's expertise in addition to the basic design has been a great asset to the shooting community. If he really retires out, we can only hope someone will build a quality bore guide that actually is a real guide.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:35 PM

Perhaps Neil Jones.………..

http://www.neiljones.com/html/guides.html
Old 06-26-2019, 04:17 PM

David Holbum @ Flying Fish Fundamental's maybe
able to help you. He makes some quality items for
the bench rest community including bore guides.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 06-27-2019, 03:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I've never bought one from the market.

Our Late member: sicero/Kenny Pond made them to order.
I got one from him.

Then later asked if he had some scrap pieces as I needed some
short material. Sent me a bunch of it in various dia.

He told me: "IF you need any with a hole in it, buy the material made
that way, you'll never be able to drill the hole straight to save your butt".

Just in case you decide to turn one or more. MSC has it in 3' and 40" lengths.
Mighty costly stuff though.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM

In looking at one of my guides, the piece with the 0-ring(patch section) seems to be two piece. The comment about drilling a hole made me take a closer look at an example rod guide.

Delrin, mine are white, is slick stuff. Perusing the Henkel site, a primer pre-use and then use of a Loctite 401 is shown for acetyl (delrin). Referred to as a bond, not an glue on said site.

Length of tooling always influences wander during a machining operation, less over hand is more better. I also find that the 118's wander more than the 135's, but just may be me..

Lots of places cheaper for delrin. Just have to look around. but have noticed in past years, the numbers are indeed going up. Never thought about trying to buy with a hole already in the material, must be a trick or luck to find material like that with cleaning rod tolerancing, a key item to accuracy of the guide. Have to look around......

I once watched a guy making a reloading die from scratch. He put in centers, and trued the outside, fussing a lot even with this beginning procedure. He then drilled or milled half way down the tube. Then he flipped it around, re-setup, and repeated just past half way. He then reamed slight over size to the hole. Lots of work and time in that homebrew die for a simplistic piece of metal with a hole in it.

I always thought I would use a small carbide boring bar, half way down. Then ream, but just a novice here and heck of a lot to learn yet.

With no rod guides around perhaps, might be forced into learning more.....part of the fun of it I reckon.

Last edited by rick w.; 06-27-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:22 PM

I thought I'd update this as to where I'm at with my search. With Mike Lucas no longer making bore guides I had to go elsewhere. I purchased a Tipton "Universal" bore guide and well it may work for bigger actions it will not work with the small Cooper Model 38 action. So, I ended up buying a #8 and a #9 Sinclair bore guide. The #9 is backordered but I should have the #8 by the end of the week. I guess I'll let you know what I think of them once I get them. Also I check out Neil Jones because I have a couple of his for other rifles but didn't see anywhere on his website any mention of a Cooper 38. And I really didn't want to have to wait to get one custom made. Hopefully the Sinclair's will do the trick because I have some dirty Model 38's that need cleaned.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 AM
Supporting Member

Mike is not out of business, he just had a quadruple by-pass surgery and hopes to be back and running in a couple months. Give him a little time. Hope this helps some of you.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VarTarg View Post
I thought I'd update this as to where I'm at with my search. With Mike Lucas no longer making bore guides I had to go elsewhere. I purchased a Tipton "Universal" bore guide and well it may work for bigger actions it will not work with the small Cooper Model 38 action. So, I ended up buying a #8 and a #9 Sinclair bore guide. The #9 is backordered but I should have the #8 by the end of the week. I guess I'll let you know what I think of them once I get them. Also I check out Neil Jones because I have a couple of his for other rifles but didn't see anywhere on his website any mention of a Cooper 38. And I really didn't want to have to wait to get one custom made. Hopefully the Sinclair's will do the trick because I have some dirty Model 38's that need cleaned.
If you talk to Neil he needs to know the caliber and the bolt diameter...……...
Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 PM

Default Calhoon Bore Guide

You might consider a James Calhoon bore guide he sells for his 19 cal. I have used it on CZ 19 BADGER-----Sako l461 .223-----Sako A2 22-250. I works great in all 3. His guide sells for $46.00.