Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-15-2020, 12:37 AM

Default What barrel contour?

Greetings all,

I am making some progress in gathering information or .20 Vartarg build, thanks to the members of the board (thank you Bills), and one of the last issues is a barrel contour. The intended build will not be "mountain" or "walking" gun, unless one considers walking from a car/house to a shooting place, so weight is not much of a concern. At the same time, there is not a reason to have it overbuilt.

I am looking at Pac Nor, https://pac-nor.com/contours/, and guestimating based on the volume, the weight of #5 is about 4.5 lb, # 6 is about 5 lb, and Varminter about 5.5 lb. Shortening the barrel to between 22-24 inch, threading and chambering will cut of about 0.25-0.30 lb.

Adding the weight of an action 1.8 lb, light stock and scope should be about 9-10 lb.

Any comments?

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited by mefizto; 09-15-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:11 PM
Supporting Member

I prefer straight pipes. Not much of a chance for a barrel heating that much to cause whip so your shots will stay where you point them.
All my rigs are set up with straight contour barrels and as single shots.
I only do bench shooting so packing a heavy gun isn't a concern.
If weight is a concern, I'll hire a gun bearer.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

don't know about barrels but love locks and baggels (bagels) for breakfast. you might want to go advanced edit and change that. lol

from what you said it sounds like you already have a plan though i don't understand the light stock. might as well go with a br stock with a flat forend for a full br rig.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:21 PM

Aw darn, I thought this was going to be some new terminology I had to learn
Old 09-15-2020, 02:48 PM

With the light recoil and all of the 20 VT, and you shooting off a bench and not a walking about rifle. I would stay in the area of the #6, straight bull barrel and have the weight run around 8 lbs. And us the 24 inch barrel.
You will be more than happy with it set up in roughly that manner. Bill K

( since you are considering Pac-nor, discuss it with them and I am more than sure they will give you a decent opinion on what you will be able to go with, from them.)
Old 09-15-2020, 04:21 PM

Greetings all,

thank you very much for the replies.

I apologize for the typo, I am a 10 fingers typist, but I hurt my finger and this affects my typing ability.

Hi foxhunter,

thank you for the advanced edit. It shows the edited title, but when I save the edit, it still appears incorrect.

Kindest regards,

M

Last edited by mefizto; 09-15-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:41 PM

Default Barrel weight

I have a couple 20 VT rifles, both Remington.
One is the standard Rem 700 varmint barrel contour, at 26”. I shoot it off a bench at a PDs, and it is terrific.
The other , I believe a #3 Kreiger contour. It’s a coyote calling rifle
Both are highly accurate. The heavy shoots 32 v max, the sporter 35 Berger.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:05 AM
Supporting Member

Even for a bench gun, I want them under 10 pounds scoped and ready to go. In fact I try to keep mine around 8.5 max. I have everything from straight to tapered and fluted and hunting contour in small calibres. I really don't see one contour as shooting markedly better than another in the 223 and smaller bracket. My 22H and 17 H are thin sporter barrels, one 17 FB is a stainless fluted Rem Varmint contour and the other is a sporter contour. One 223 is a straight bull barrel the other is a sporter and my 204 has a light contour #3. Every one of them will shoot 1/2" at 200 yards and if you shoot fast enough any barrel will heat up so you still need to be able to swap out a couple of three guns in a good gopher patch. Barrel contour on a 20 Vartag is not going to be anywhere near as important as good bedding and a good load. Have fun with the build.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:16 PM

First off, I would wager there are a lot of old fingers on this forum, that hit the wrong key often. For a gun your not going to do much in the may of walking, "I" think a heavy gun is easier to shoot, as they set in the bags better.