Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 AM

Cool 224 Valkyrie/ 17 WSM/ Ruger single six convert

I picked up a few guns this winter but never got the chance to check them out at the range due to being too busy with the dogs and pups that was on the way. Well today turned out pretty nice and I could get away from the dogs so I headed off to my range for a little shooting.
I started off with the 22 l.r. Ruger single six and got it sited-in in short order and then set up a fresh target at 25 yards.. For ammo I just grabbed a box of federal off the shelf and tried them out. As far as the Ruger pistol I think they did a good job putting it together so no complaints. Accuracy turned out to be pretty darn good as well and shot some groups smaller than a silver dollar so I think I'll keep this one..
Next gun tested and sited in was a Savage chambered in 17 WSM. I bought the rifle used and it came with a Simons scope so I just left that on for now. The mag. can be a little tricky to load as you get close to full and I don't really like how the bolt works or feels but it worked none the less. I re-checked the 100 yard zero and tested some loads I had. Accuracy was around 3/4 down to 1/2 and it worked well on some Gophers I shot later in the day. Not a real fancy rifle but then again I bought it for a truck gun when hunting with the dogs so good enough for that..

Next rifle is the Savage AR chambered in 224 Valkyrie shooting the 90 gr. bullets. I bought a five round mag. and a ten round mag for this gun as a 20 round mag didn't interest me and is a pain in the butt when trying to shoot off a bench or while carrying the gun. Both mag.s functioned real good and no issues chambering a round.
I had a Leupold scope with the Varmint reticle mounted on the rifle with a one piece base and rings and got rifle sited in at 100 yards and then backed off to 200 yards for a group testing.. I looked at the box the ammo came in and on the back they had a bullet drop chart I used for as a guide. There chart don't jive with what I found out from testing. If you site/zero rifle in at 100 yards the bullet drop at 200 will be 3.8", OK. So I dialed in the 3.8" and then shot at a 200 yard target and I was 3.8" to high! Nice little group but just not where I wanted it to be. So I got the scope zeroed back down for 200 yards and fired another five shot group. First two shots almost touching and last three started to spread out a bit. aah barrel must be getting warm on the last three shots causing group to open up. I let the gun sit for a spell to make sure it was completely cooled down then fired another group but only two shots then wait and then finish. aah that's more like it and got a nice little group..
The Savage rifle worked perfect and no complaints with it other than the muzzle break is just a tadd TOO LOUD! The cartridge itself I like it and how it performs so far and will do some long range testing with it later on out to 800-1000 yards just to see what it does.. My future plan though is to get some reloading dies and load bullets for it in the 52,55 and 60 gr. range and use what works best for coyotes and is also accurate.. As for the scope its works well but more testing will be done with it on this rifle as I came up with a short cut so I don't have to do much dialing in. The scope has four or five fixed cross hairs and what I will do is shoot the gun at what range the cross hair comes close to and then just dial in from that and take note of corrections, either up a few clicks or down and no big whoop and don't have to make 2-3 full turns on the dial...
Old 05-17-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Two new AR15's

I purchased two new AR15's that I am doing load work for. The tan outfit is a 6.5 Grendel and the black one a 22 Nosler.

Both have custom triggers and barrels. I like both so far!

Last edited by Stormbringer; 05-17-2018 at 09:31 PM.