Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-19-2018, 12:22 AM
Supporting Member

Default Did Remington

ever make a left hand 5mm Remington Magnum?

I know they made a l/h 581 but did they offer the 540, 541 and 591 in left hand?...…….Kiwi
Old 05-19-2018, 02:22 PM

In all of the research I have done of these rifles, no. Sorry

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 05-19-2018, 10:29 PM
Supporting Member

I had my hands on a r/h 591 probably close to 25 years ago, I bought it with a dozen boxes of factory Remington ammo.

After buying it I never did get around to shooting it as I on sold it to a collector, although I did keep a couple of boxes of ammo. I quite often pull a loaded round out and think I really need a rifle so I can try this cartridge...…...but then I've never seen any ammo for sale in New Zealand.

I do have a l/h 581 rifle and a new l/h 581 action sitting in the safe and have thought about restocking the rifle with a nice piece of walnut along the lines of a 541S, while the action is earmarked for a 20 Ackley Hornet, or if I could find a supply of 5mm Rem Mag ammo perhaps that could be an alternative.

What is the difference between the 591 and 581 magazine cutout and bolt?

Kiwi
Old 05-19-2018, 10:38 PM

You don't really need a LH, you killed the crap out of the PD while here with RH Cooper.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Howdy Kiwi!!

One of the fastest, most accurate shooters on game I've
ever seen, or hunted with was a lefty shooting RH rifles.
He had it figured out well.

Just takes practice is all.

Hi Jim! You getting any rain up there? Clouds keep
blowing over down here. Less than 3/8" so far this year.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Supporting Member

I've been pretty much ambidexterous my entire life, but I shoot a rifle left handed. I learned at an early age on a right handed bolt action 22 LR and my bolt action rifles are all right handed rifles.

I tried left handed actions maybe 20-25 years ago and they just never felt comfortable. Over time I have developed a bolt cycling method using my right hand to cycle the bolt that is automatic for me and very quick to reacquire a target from if needed.

As an aside on the ambidexterous issue, I shoot rifles left handed, hand guns right handed, throw right handed and bat a baseball left handed. I'm left eye dominant and use it for pistol shooting with my right hand. Its no biggie for me but you might pick up one of my handguns and find that it shoots a bit off to the side for you with a right hand/right eye combo. Shooting a hand gun left handed is not a big deal for me. In addition, I kick a football best with my left leg but can also do it right legged without too much effort. At age 69 I still stay active and about a month ago at a local HS, I found that I can still hit hiked and placed uncontested 30 yard chip shot field goals with my left leg and from 20-25 with my right leg.......... Kicking straight on..... soccer style hadn't been "invented" when I was playing years ago.........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-20-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling..................
Old 05-20-2018, 02:53 PM

Good rain here - pups are up and can't get to them.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barker View Post
You don't really need a LH, you killed the crap out of the PD while here with RH Cooper.
Yes shooting off the bench a R/H rifle is good to shoot left handed, but I want a walkabout rifle for shooting a few rabbits.

My first ever rifle was a R/H .22 and I found that real awkward to use, didn't help that I kept bringing it up onto my right shoulder...……...lol

I am right handed but after loosing my right eye when I was a teenager I had to learn to shoot left handed. My first L/H centrefire rifle was a lever action which was heavy (Savage 99CD), then I finally had enough money and splashed out on a L/H Rem 700...…..but finding a L/H rimfire was sort of like trying to find the needle in a haystack, but wait long enough and look hard enough and sure enough they do produce them.

Now all of the rifles I use are L/H bolt actions so why should I try and learn another way, that would just confuse me as I'm easy to confuse...…...lol

Could you convert a 581 to a 591??
If you could what would it take?

Kiwi
Old 05-24-2018, 11:40 PM

The Rem 591 and the 5mm cartridge are a very special setup. The cartridge develops over 33,000 PSI pressure which exceeds the strength of the brass.
Remington went to a WHOLE lot of work to make the cartridge work. If you look at the 591-592 action you will see that it has 2 extractors, one on the left which forms part of the chamber wall and functions as the primary extractor from the chamber for about 1/10 of an inch, then the secondary extractor catches the upper right side of the rim and the left hand extractor follows the cartridge out and becomes the ejector. The only way that you can safely shoot the 5mm RRM is if the cartridge is completely enclosed in steel. No extractor cuts or exposed rims. This I know and have the imbedded brass in my legs to show the failures that I had. I thought I had it whipped a couple of times but proof cartridges showed just how dangerous my designs where. The 5MM Craig is a much safer cartridge and more rifles can be modified for this CF.

I have been an expert witness on a couple of court cases involving these rifles, where people got seriously hurt when they failed.
Points to know"
1. Does your 5MM have a steel shield on the front left of the receiver?
If it DOES NOT then please Please don't shoot it and contact me to help you get firing again. I can tell you or your gunsmith what has to be done to fix it. No, I am retired and no longer have my FFL so can't work on other peoples rifles.
2. Make sure that your left hand extractor/ ejector and related springs are functioning well.
3. I have made TC Contender barrels of all lengths that fire both the rimfire and the Centerfire cartridges. These are safe and are a wonderful way to experience the 5MM cartridge. I don't have any more 5MM barrels, sorry. MGM has a reamer and make a great barrel.

Hope this helps.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON