Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 09-08-2023, 05:20 PM

Normally I shoot out of the truck bed, but had to go mobile due to the excess moisture this year.

Love the quiet precision of this rifle/case combo.

Pic for Silver Fox

Old 09-08-2023, 05:23 PM

They had so much rain, mushrooms were growing in the grasslands.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:33 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfisher View Post
Still fire -forming cases, have several hundred formed now, one of these days I will have to push the shoulder back on them, as of right now, I just run them through my Lee Collet NS die, and reload.
Does the shell holder close the Lee collet on the case neck?

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 09-09-2023, 01:30 PM

Default Silver Fox would approve...

Thanks for posting that neat rifle and round.Its nice to see it out working so well.
I think Silver Fox would like a hero picture too

Matt
Old 09-09-2023, 03:09 PM

Question what are you loading behind the 20gr?

Man, you guys, it has been nearly "forever" since I have seen a new post of someone using the .172"VHA /Anderson. It is great to see that you are still putting in some scope time and still delivering some of teh little furry critters to the great Gopher patch in the sky.

What has been your goals as far as accuracy with this? are you still loading it as you did a few years back or do you have any updates? I just recall that somehow with that longer barrel one of us was getting almost an honest 4k fps with teh .172 17gr vmx. I ended up using MP300 as it gave great velocity and had a pressure curve well suited to the shorter barrel I have, but was wondering if you perhaps have loaded it with something different than you started out with.

I am also still recovering from the theft of all my reloading supplies, so if any of you have a line on a place to buy / borrrow, rent an OD or ID neck turner tor a while or get one that is "cheap" that works please drop a line I have about 400pcs of brass to get set up for reloading, and teh LEJ brass has a bit of neck wall variation that concerns me, (up to 0.002" variation in my case neck wall thicknesses from one side of the neck to the other).

Last edited by 17tbs; 09-09-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:55 AM

Thumbs up Very nice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfisher View Post
Got my Pierce/Lilja 17HK up and running. Reamer from Manson, specifically to fit my LEJ brass, 4.6x30 case necked to 17 like the VHA but this I put a 35 deg shoulder on it......My buddy in TX did the chambering, came home and decided to try a RAS brake/tuner, Mike from EGA Gunworks here in Iowa did the work, very nicely done too.

This is a fairly time consuming process, a simple neck down, but then I skim turn the cases and then load them. I got a new carbide mandrel that doesn't match up well it seems with my expending mandrel. Tight fit, taking more time per case than I like.

I get these primed and staked from the supplier, the staked cases solve the primer leakage issue that can occur with this smaller diameter case head. Once fired, I slightly swage them , removing the swage rim just enough to be able to reprime. Leaves some extra brass in the area and further hardens the case head, IMO. So I'm dealing with a primer that is not my normal Fed 205 that I like, essentially requiring two different loads to be developed. Finding a decent load to shoot PD's while fire-forming the cases now, and later retest with the Fed 205 primers.

To help with this micro case, I decided to put the brake/tuner on so I can tune the rifle to the load( only so much case capacity..want to optimize my velocity and then change tuner settings to bring the group together..) instead of the normal route of tuning the load to the rifle.

Plus, the brake helps tame the violent recoil of 10grs of powder all going off at once! It actually does reduce muzzle jump noticeably, very little recoil, but as with any round some muzzle jump is apparent.

17 HK at the bench.
[/quote]

Very nice little rifle you've put together there. Nice work.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:22 PM

Thank you sir. I've been getting caught up on my reloading work. Got more cases necked down and turned last week.