Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gullette View Post
Yesterday, again, it was 105 degrees F and 26% humidity here.

I shouldn't complain though........in 2010 we had 100 days of hundred degree(or higher) temperatures. During that time, at least once, the overnight LOW was 89 degrees F. Heck.......during that summer, the ground water was so warm that you could take a comfortable shower.......using ONLY the knob marked "C".

So, yeah.........I keep a spare A/C compressor.

Kevin
Keven a number of years back we had the Mother of all arctic fronts come down from our good neighbors to the north. We had a period of over 35 days that the high temp never got above zero degrees F. Lows hit -40 a number of times and as a special gift we had real high winds come with it, wind chills were unbelievable! 30miles per at -40 is a wind chill of -80 . I had 17 horses to tend and near half a mile of road to plow cause we lived off county access. Had an old Case 831 diesel tractor, ya ever tried to start a diesel tractor at 25 or 30 below?
Boy the fur was bringing some cash then though. Funny how tending horses, plowing roads and corrals were awful but in the exact same weather shooting coyotes was a hoot.
All things considered I'd much rather endure lethal cold then lethal heat. Fortunately the kind of cold I mentioned is an anomaly so we don't have to deal with it much and I only seen 100 degrees in Bozeman once and that day set an all time record.
Weather sure keeps ya guessing don't it?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 PM

Michigan checking in. I have to admit I'm the most fair-weather sportsman there is and the biggest turn off to me is the heat. I had this whole week off and I was planning on getting in some serious range time, but so far I haven't even made it out yet. I've got some 6XC loads I want to verify and some 6XC varmint loads I want to try out. Then I've got 4 different 25-45 Sharps loads for a new build I haven't even fired yet. I've also got a 6.5 Creedmoor that I haven't fired yet. Then I was going to shoot some 223 and 6.5 Grendel rounds that have sat delinquent for awhile. But this heat, no thanks.

To make it even worse, I really don't want to trout fish either as the heat really puts a strain on the streams. This weather gets a big thumbs down from me.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Guys, this week I got the August 2018 issue of Handloader in the mail. It has an article by Layne Simpson about the 17 Mach IV and some background history and the O'Brien Rifle Company. I thought that might interest you especially, Kevin.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Thumbs up Hey Doug.....and TinMan.

Doug,

You win.......cold can kill ya.....quicker than many think. I can always find some shade(I've some old range targets that say 111 degrees F).

TinMan,

I wonder if Layne's article is a re-hash of the one he wrote for Shooting Times, back in the early 1980's. The rest of the story.......I actually bought the O'Brien 17MachIV, he used for the article, from him. I later sold it to a friend.
Interesting.....

Kevin
Old 07-07-2018, 12:43 AM

We took our Grandson to the Newport Aquarium yesterday leaving there at 4:30 PM the OAT was 96 degrees. 7 miles and one good shower later it was 71. At 8:30 when we got home it was 80. The cold front had passed but no rain at home. Stiff north winds and the pressure is going up today. Tonight a low of 54. I’ll be trying out some Nosler 50gr tipped boattails in the 222 tomorrow. Sweat free.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:50 AM

I avoided last weekend's heat and flooding rain storms in Mn by traveling to Escondido, CA. 75-78 all weekend, nice for visting,still could never live there.