Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-01-2021, 04:55 PM

Default neck sizing 22 k hornet

hi folks,
need some info on neck sizing my 22 k hornet brass. using a regular 22 hornet die, it keeps pushing the shoulder back. do i raise the the k hornet fl die to just size the mouth? thanks for any help. be safe....dan
Old 08-01-2021, 05:39 PM

Don't have a KH, but I know that Hornady makes a 22 Hornet-specific NS die. It is different from a normal 22 Hornet FS sizer. I have been using one for almost 20 years. Maybe a call or e-mail to Hornady might get you a better answer to your question.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:28 PM

The K-Hornet has the shoulder blown out to increase case capacity. It stands to reason that a regular Hornet die will set the shoulder back to match that of a standard Hornet cartridge. You could back the die off of the shoulder enough to only touch the neck, but you'd be better served with the right die.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 PM
Supporting Member

Don't know if you can find one but the best sizer I have found (by accident) for neck sizing the 22 K-Hornet is a Lee Collet Neck Die (LCD) for the 22PPC. Don't know if they still make them, or will make you one, but it works for the PPC, 22 K-Hornet and 221 Fireball. Otherwise just get a standard 22 K-Hornet neck die.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:29 PM

A Redding 22 K hornet neck die will solve the problem.
A little pricey and more than likely special order but worth it.
Bob
Old 08-01-2021, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
the k-hornet has the shoulder blown out to increase case capacity. It stands to reason that a regular hornet die will set the shoulder back to match that of a standard hornet cartridge. You could back the die off of the shoulder enough to only touch the neck, but you'd be better served with the right die.
+1 on this. Emphasis on the "right die" part.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-01-2021, 10:08 PM

Save yourself a lot of grief and buy either a sizing die for the K-hornet or just a neck sizing die for it. Your standard 22 hornet sizing die will not work properly and will push the shoulder back.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:59 PM

Get a Wilson neck die.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Default Tried neck sizing K-Hornets.......

I tried neck sizing K Hornet brass in a Redding K Hornet neck die many years ago for my Ruger 77K.

I don't recall how many firings I achieved on the brass but loaded rounds ultimately would chamber with little to no resistance but not extract due to extreme clickers. The extraction cam provided little to no assist.

Had to tap the bolt handle rearward to break the resistance on the few rounds I tried. I didn't even fire the rounds. I pulled bullets on a few rounds and tried resizing in a full length resizing die.......that solved the problem.

Unfortunately I had loaded about 250 that still need to be be broken down and full length resized.

I don't recall why I ever thought I should neck size only for that caliber.......

Last edited by Ricco1949; 08-02-2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco1949 View Post
I tried neck sizing K Hornet brass in a Redding K Hornet neck die many years ago for my Ruger 77K.

I don't recall how many firings I achieved on the brass but loaded rounds ultimately would chamber with little to no resistance but not extract due to extreme clickers. The extraction cam provided little to no assist.

Had to tap the bolt handle rearward to break the resistance on the few rounds I tried. I didn't even fire the rounds. I pulled bullets on a few rounds and tried resizing in a full length resizing die.......that solved the problem.

Unfortunately I had loaded about 250 that still need to be be broken down and full length resized.

I don't recall why I ever thought I should neck size only for that caliber.......
Not to doubt your results, but neck sizing is the best way for the short k-hornet and others like it.
the slight resistance you mention sound more like a slight too much length in the neck and a triming of the length would be the issue, not the shoulder sticking. But who knows ?