Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-10-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post

Quicksilver Power Tune to remove carbon.
If this stuff will remove a carbon ring I'll gladly buy a case of it.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
As others have said, this has floated around the internet for quite a few years.

-BCB
I wish we could see an updated test.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:13 AM

Does anyone have any experience with cleaning hard carbon from a barrel that has only been shot with Moly'd bullets from day one? I've been told if the bore has always only seen Moly bullets that carbon is less likely to build and easier to remove if it does. Not sure if this is true or not.....
Old 03-11-2022, 02:09 AM

Not sure, but I do remember that you still have to clean Cr-Mo barrels, because the Moly will attract moisture and helps pit/corrode the barrel. SS barrels are okay. The only thing that has really worked for hard carbon is JB. For me, the toughest to really get clean are some old battle rifles that shot Brit .303 ammo. That jacketing material has some Ni in the jacket material, not the normal gilding metal jackets.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Not sure, but I do remember that you still have to clean Cr-Mo barrels, because the Moly will attract moisture and helps pit/corrode the barrel. SS barrels are okay. The only thing that has really worked for hard carbon is JB. For me, the toughest to really get clean are some old battle rifles that shot Brit .303 ammo. That jacketing material has some Ni in the jacket material, not the normal gilding metal jackets.
Funny you should mention Brit .303. My buddy was shooting his SMLE this week and mentioned he had shot some old British ammo someone gave him. I told him to clean it with water first because it is likely loaded with chlorate primers and cordite. He broke down a round and sure enough it was cordite. He said he pulled the trigger and it sounded like click boom. It shot very accurately though. He had a devil of a time getting the metal fouling out.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:22 PM

I've had good success using Rem 40x bore cleaning solution. I use a "snug" patch on a jag, wet with Hoppe's solvent and then add the 40x, and short stroke it all the way down the bore. Can also wrap a used bore brush with a patch, apply the mix of Hoppe's & 40x and short stroke again. JB & flitz work as well, but this combo seems to work a bit faster for me.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:54 PM

JDHasty, yes lots of older ammo had corrosive primers, and you have to use the right cleaners to clean it out properly. Back when I was 8 years old, I took a rifle class from our YMCA that was taught by an old Marine Gunny. He was taught how to clean his '03 Springfield. We had to dunk our barrel muzzles into a bucket of soapy water and use a jag and patch on a cleaning rod to clean our modern 22lr's. Lot's easier to use the right solvent for corrosive primers, which is water based.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
JDHasty, yes lots of older ammo had corrosive primers, and you have to use the right cleaners to clean it out properly. Back when I was 8 years old, I took a rifle class from our YMCA that was taught by an old Marine Gunny. He was taught how to clean his '03 Springfield. We had to dunk our barrel muzzles into a bucket of soapy water and use a jag and patch on a cleaning rod to clean our modern 22lr's. Lot's easier to use the right solvent for corrosive primers, which is water based.
Wowzers *Chieftain*. That's not really warranted on a rimfire shooting modern ammunituon and could needlessly expose the firearm to cleaning damage.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:01 PM

Agreed, but was just an example of how things were done with corrosive ammo. Look at any of the old books about guns, especially military guns, and that was the practice. Look at Hatcher's Notebook, etc. The rule was clean the rifle after shooting it, and make sure you dried and oiled the barrel after cleaning it.

Any old military ammo before 1953 probably has corrosive primers, so be careful. I think for US rifles, everything after 1963 has been non-corrosive.

Last edited by TinMan; 03-12-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-12-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Agreed, but was just an example of how things were done with corrosive ammo. Look at any of the old books about guns, especially military guns, and that was the practice. Look at Hatcher's Notebook, etc. The rule was clean the rifle after shooting it, and make sure you dried and oiled the barrel after cleaning it.

Any old military ammo before 1953 probably has corrosive primers, so be careful. I think for US rifles, everything after 1963 has been non-corrosive.
There is a real nice Stevens 44 22 LR sitting in the LGS that the barrel is just a mess. I have thought about picking it up and running it up to Redman next time I’m in Omak. I remember reading about soldiers and cowboys peeing down the bores of their rifles when they were in the desert and water was scarce. I think that was Naramore who wrote about that, but don’t quote me on it.