Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-11-2022, 11:09 PM

Default Lefty hornet

Is an 1885 22 hornet a possibility? Browning and Winchester made them in recent years. It works for lefty’s. They show up on GunBroker and other sites pretty often. They run $1800 or more.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Thanks for the responses, I will try the "where do I send the money" then google it.

At this stage I'm too cautious to send any money without my friend being able to view the rifle, and pay for it if it is what is in photos.

I've tried to get a phone number or an address and have been greeted with silence.

I have a few options to build a left hand Hornet, but would want to build it on an action that is more fitting to the size of the hornet case, which is why the Anschutz interests me.

To me some of the other options are like selecting an 8lb sledge hammer to drive nails.

Kiwi
I can totally sympathize with the desire to build a bolt action Hornet on an action totally suited to that cartridge. I have had a desire for the same, and being right handed has made it no less of a difficult itch to scratch.

I have given this conundrum a lot of thought over the years and if I had my way what we would see would be a $650 highly accurate five lb 17 Hornet on the dealer’s racks.

What I would propose would be based off of a very, very slightly scaled up Remington 541s offered in single shot and repeater configuration, with the possibility of offering a heavy barreled Varmint variation as well.

I have two nice 580 single shot actions and a couple of the deluxe stocks sitting in my safe as well as a couple ziplock bags of triggers and am about to get going on building one each in 17 and 20 Garin.

I have had a project planned to build a 580 in 17 Ackley Pee Wee for the last twenty-five years, but the Garin opportunity came available that is going to alleviate a lot of the expense of commissioning custom tooling. Mox nix, there isn’t 2¢ difference in the Ackley and Garin version of the 17 caliber based on 30 carbine. The second one in 20 caliber is just because I have forming and loading dies sitting here and a lot of the difficulty in these projects is in the setup. Since I have another action and stock sitting here, I figured I might as well put together one of each.

I wish you luck in locating what you are looking for, between you and I, I wouldn’t touch that deal you posted about with a 20 foot pole. There is not much about it that doesn’t smack of it being a scam. I know two people who have been skinned alive on Rolex watch scams and both went down just as you are describing.

Last edited by JDHasty; 05-12-2022 at 09:29 PM.