Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-28-2019, 10:39 PM

Default Extrapolating pressure with other variables known

I looked at QuickLoad's website ans noticed it wasn't for sale in the US. What I'm trying to do is take some of the guesswork out of reloading with specifically H4198 in the 17HH. Hodgdon shows a max load of 11.8C with a very reasonable pressure. I'm not going to post any specific powder weights here but would via PM or email is someone could crunch the numbers.
Ultimately I do want to purchase a program like QuickLoad to do my own calculations. BTW, I've found H4198 to be a viable powder for my 17HH 527A.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:05 PM

I use a 6” drop tube and still can’t get a book max load in mine. Full flush to the mouth and compressed. Low pressure super accurate. I was chasing groups when I did this so no chrono work.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:53 PM

NECO sells it, Quickload and Quickdesign.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I looked at QuickLoad's website ans noticed it wasn't for sale in the US. What I'm trying to do is take some of the guesswork out of reloading with specifically H4198 in the 17HH. Hodgdon shows a max load of 11.8C with a very reasonable pressure. I'm not going to post any specific powder weights here but would via PM or email is someone could crunch the numbers.
Ultimately I do want to purchase a program like QuickLoad to do my own calculations. BTW, I've found H4198 to be a viable powder for my 17HH 527A.
As moorepower stated QL is sold by Neco. If you give me your bullet of choice and OAL I will run the numbers and give you a start and stop point.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezapper View Post
As moorepower stated QL is sold by Neco. If you give me your bullet of choice and OAL I will run the numbers and give you a start and stop point.
Thank you sir. I will gather up some info and send a PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:30 PM

I love QL such an awesome tool!

But be smart about it. don't take it as gospel. you'll learn the relationships of loads and QL over time and some powders are wonky in there (lil gun and RL17 come to mind)

I also like to measure real H2o capacity and put that in QL as in these tiny cases a few 10th's of a grain capacity can make a huge change in pressure. I have some brass that measure .3gr difference from one brand to another and it shows in the workup! it's all about percentages .3gr in a 300 WM case is nothing. .3gr in a case that has ~14 to begin with is huge.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 PM

The problem most people have with QL is they think it is plug and play. They get discouraged when the predictions don't match their results. They fail to put in correct case capacity and fail to adjust the burn rate factor and temperature after the first tests - and yes this has to be done with a chronograph.

Also, almost everybody ignores the graph window because they don't understand what they are looking at. This is THE most important tool of QL IMO. This graph will tell you from the very beginning if the powder you chose is the correct fit for the bullet / cartridge combo. Most guys give up on a bullet when in reality it was the powder choice that affected the results.

I used to use a Oehler 43PBL that measures pressure and velocity but after learning the correct way to use QL I now only use my Oehler 35 because once the correct burn rate factor is adjusted the velocity and pressure almost always mirror QL predictions.