Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Cartridge Collecting, Small caliber cases exchange.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2022, 06:27 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 viper cases

I picked up a set of dies at a gunshow and now I'm seriously thinking I need to build one. I can order the reamer but before I jump to deep I am looking for a few cases to make sure the dies are for the 17 Viper.

I will pay for the cases and shipping. I just think this is the best way. Having been bit on a 17/222 that was not spec to the reamer and dies I am not jumping to fast this time.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-01-2022, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

do a chamber cast and compare it to the chamber schematic.
do you know how to cast the die? if not i can send a 17-viper case

making a 17 viper is more involved than making a 17 Mach IV case

Last edited by foxhunter; 10-01-2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:56 PM
Supporting Member

Well DUH! I didn't even think of casting the die. Thanks for the reminder LOL. This is still in my head other than I did purchase the dies. I do have a .177 barrel hiding from the wife in HER closet hehehe. I have found best place to hide stuff is where she will never look LOL. Since I retired she has gotten testy over spending money on "that stuff" but in my defense I Am hard of hearing and with the aids out I can just go on and pretend I didn't hear her.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:14 PM

I've got that reamer, need to build one eventually.

Aaron
Old 10-29-2022, 02:38 PM

Hey Big Joe that .177" Barrel won't help you much with .172" bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
Well DUH! I didn't even think of casting the die. Thanks for the reminder LOL. This is still in my head other than I did purchase the dies. I do have a .177 barrel hiding from the wife in HER closet hehehe. I have found best place to hide stuff is where she will never look LOL. Since I retired she has gotten testy over spending money on "that stuff" but in my defense I Am hard of hearing and with the aids out I can just go on and pretend I didn't hear her.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:24 PM
Supporting Member

I pulled out the barrel and read its paperwork. Its a .172 with a 10 twist so no heavy bullets for it. Its got a light varmint barrel profile just waiting on me to figure out things. Been looking at the 17 CCM also. I managed to find just over 100 of them so now I'm not sure which way to go. something about the CCM is appealing to me but then the Viper is also LOL. Not sure how much trouble is may be to resize 22 CCM down to 17 but I may end up doing that too, as he same guy had 300 of the 22 CCM and I thought hey the price isn't a killer and I may be able to make more 17 CCM one day.

Just so many things to think about so I am not jumping in any direction just yet. Still reading all the past posts about the Viper and what few I can find about the CCM which most I have found are not on this board but I have found a few posts here. Not giving up on either just not jumping to soon either.

Also working out a way to possibly buy a second barrel with funds the wife doesn't know about to keep my hair on top of my head LOL. She keeps her eyes on the mail anymore and at times I make the dog house list LOL. One of those is you had money for this you had the money for the kitchen remodel.. Sorry but that's her want so she can pay for it. Heck I am not allowed to cook,clean or anything but drinking in "her" kitchen. But the grill/smoker is ALL MINE lol, she wont even light it for me. OK got off track some.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

joe the good, the bad and the ugly, here goes. it's not hard making 17 ccm from 22 ccm as i remember it. the 17 viper isn't for most folks, it is a multi-step process with form dies and neck turning. I use a Bullberry double end form die .20 on one end and 17 on the other. i know this because the 17 viper is my brainchild.
that's the bad and ugly the good, it's the most efficient 17 i own. 3750 with a 25 gr and 4000 with a 20 and if you really want to get wild 4350 with a 15.5 ntx on 14-15 gr of powder.
the ccm cases are fragile as in very, some of the ccm cases were a one shot and pitch as they were annealed to soft to reload. that's why i went to the 17
v-raptor (17x28) based on the 5.7x28 pistol case. i use the 4.6x30 h&k as it is rated for several thousand psi's higher. 4137 fps with the 15.5 ntx, 3750 with the 20 gr vmax and 3422 with a 25 gr vmax 1-9 twist barrel, all with less than 11 grains of powder. 3lb. of 300mp is good for about 2100 shots.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:34 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Thank you Foxhunter for that info. Finicky brass is not new to me I have both the Hornet and the K Hornet and at first I lost a fair amount of brass from me getting a hurry.

I do want to try the Viper but I think I need a new barrel for that to allow for a better bullet range. Its a 10 twist which limits mt to light bullets period.

As far as multiple steps in forming not new to me either. I worked on what I found out after all my work was basically a 22 Montgomery, go figure you think you just invented the next best thing only to find out its been around for a while LOL.

Now there is new player on the field LOL. The V-raptor, I have seen a few bags of the 4.6x30 brass here at a gunshow. Surely the dies cant be any more expensive than the 22CCM and the reamers are all special order so that negates that in this equation or the decisions when something is keeping up at night LOL. Not even going into what the wife says about this. But she did say "if this will get your hiney out from under my feet do it", just get out of the house and quit nit picking" lol.

Thanks again, I will post my final decision and hopefully some pictures when I get that figured out.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:49 AM

Default 4.6x30 cases

Big Joe,

I will buy all of those 4.6x30 cases if you go to the gun show. Unless there are over 2000. I would suggest that you do the same as they are very durable cases compared to the 5.7x28mm. You can still form them into the Veloci-Raptor case, despite them being 2mm longer than the 5.7 case.

I have a 17VHA 40 degree Ackley barrel and lots of load data for you if you are interested. I owe it to someone on this forum as many here have helped me. I would actually gladly form the brass for you as soon as I get replacement dies from CH-4D. We ought to buy all of that brass, especially if it is head-stamped LEJ, or DAG.

I just ordered a replacement reamer above, JGS said turnaround time is 12 to 18 weeks.

The Fiocchi cases are not all that bad, but they are not as well made as those made with the LEJ head-stamp.

Last edited by 17tbs; 11-15-2022 at 05:16 AM.