Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-18-2020, 09:42 PM

Default PRVI PPU brass for the 222R quality

Seems the search function is inop right now so I'll ask for input on the PPU brass for the 222 Remington. My 527A likes brass of a consistent weight/water volume and my weight sorted Winchester has a new life courtesy of the old berzomatic. Got me thinking I've had good luck with the PPU brass for my 22H and resizing for the 17HH so first thought was trying some for the 222. Anyone like to comment? Kinda love to try some Norma but I don't know if my skills are up to spending the extra bucks for good stuff.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:16 PM

I form 222 out of quality mil surp 5.56 once fired. With 223 brass nearly free or completely free in some cases (range pickup, non-reload friends, etc) , you can afford to be VERY picky as far as weight/water volume. Cull your brass to one narrow weight range, form, = high consistency 222. A bit of work though.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:21 PM

I've been doing the 223 to 222 trick for some time. I may just take it one step further and sort the brass adding weight as s criteria.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:06 PM
Supporting Member

I use it in my 527 222. No trouble with it. Tried weight sorting it was close enough in the batch I have, so gave that up. Resize load and shoot.

Tom
Old 03-19-2020, 02:22 PM

It took me a while to get the hang of resizing without bunching up the brass and found just a very light rub of lube seemed to work best. LC brass showed signs of annealing so that's what I used.
This morning I weight sorted a few hundred 222.5 brass and found about 40% came in around 90 gr, 40% weighed 91 gr and 15% were 92 gr. The rest were 89, 93 and a few 94 grain. That is pretty impressive for range brass converted to 222.

In the past I was getting about 7 reloads before getting neck splits. I'll anneal them in hopes of increasing the reloads before splitting.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Supporting Member

Have used Privi brass in 22 H, 17 HH, 30-06, 308 and 7x57. It has been very good brass so if it comes in 222 I see no reason it wouldn't be every bit as good. At least you don't have to mess around forming it, which would only seem worth doing if I get needed a real big pile of 222 brass.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:14 PM

I use Canadian IVI NATO, which is about the same as LC in quality. Most of it was free. I ended up taking the paste metal polish to my RCBS 222 die and got it to an absolute mirror smooth finish inside (varmintal.com). About 30 minutes with a drill and a swab covered in polish. That improved my success rate with forming a lot. I agree, the less lube the better for wrinkles; kind of counterintuitive. Better results with sizing wax than lube.

I anneal right after forming and then as required. I made so many formed brass I don't have that many firings on them yet. LOL
Old 03-19-2020, 04:48 PM

You make a good point Dean, forming brass is a lot of fiddling. Buying some quality brass is a much better option for many (most??). I'm retired (and a serious cheapskate) so I enjoy the forming work. It did take a lot of hours, but I made a pile. Didn't count them but I do know a 1000 pack of bullets does about 2/3 of the 222 brass stash now. I started with about a 5 gallon pail worth, and now I have a ton of nice brass, all the same weight (hopefully volume), same length, same headstamp, etc.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:05 PM

I just polished the inside on my RCBS FL die and tried a few clean LC brass. Total failure. I remember my best luck was using a very light coat of TriFlow for lube. Maybe I'll try that next or just invest in sizing wax. Being retired and self isolated right now with more rain due this project should help keep me from doing a Jack Nicholson impression in the Shining.
I am able to set up my workmate in my garage and get out to 45 yards but really hate to find myself short on 22lr ammo. Maybe it's time to dust off the pellet rifles instead.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:35 PM

Yep, I'm self isolated on the ranch right now as well and gonna do some loading for gopher season. Saw my first one out on the snow in the pasture yesterday.

I deprime with a Lee generic deprime die, wet tumble polish in a Thumler Model B till even the primer pockets are clean, weight sort. Then a light lube with sizing wax from the shoulder of the brass down. I form (slowly) in the polished 222 die with no sizing button, die set with about a dime's worth of space between the die and the ram. I stop about half stroke with a slight lowering of the ram till the brass is free, to rotate the brass 180 deg, then finish the stroke. Then trim, inspect for QC, length, weight. Then anneal. That's followed by another lube and size with the 222 die with the size button in but no decapping pin, set to size for my rifle chamber. Quick wet tumble so the necks don't get too peaned, prime and load.