Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-09-2021, 02:09 PM
Supporting Member

I would suggest going with a RCBS Competition seater die with the side window.
Find a used one (if you can) in just about any caliber, call RCBS and get the guts to match the caliber you're working with. I don't mind paying for what I want/need. RCBS is known for sending "needed parts" at "No Charge". First ?? they ask is "you changing calibers"? Good folks to deal with and GOOD reloading gear.
I use only the RCBS Comp seaters. Saves your finger tips and swapping the guts will get you just about any caliber you can think of.

Not up on the 6X45 but the AI is just a little longer in the neck/shoulder area??

Had to go looking and see that the 6X45 is just a "necked up to 6MM" .223 case. The AI is just a little longer in the neck/shoulder area. A .223 seater with changeable neck/.shoulder bushing should get the job done.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 07-09-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:45 PM

I don't own any RCBS Competition seaters, but they have always looked to me to be a pretty useful design. I like your idea! The 6x45 AI has less body taper (it's fatter) and the shoulder is in the same place but 40* instead of the 223's 23*, so I'm not sure if RCBS would have the parts to convert. I have on two occasions experienced the RCBS, "No charge" perk. Good company. Thanks for the suggestion sir.

Last edited by Wiserfool; 07-09-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiserfool View Post
Yes. Not looking for alternate calibre suggestions please.
Sorry - not trying to hijack your thread. I went with a 6x45AI and had a custom reamer made based on my dummy round. It was a lot of extra work.
That was all...
Old 07-09-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
I always thought a 6mm TCU and a 6x45 AI were identical. What are the differences?
The 6x45AI and the 6TCU are all but the same. The difference is that the 6TCU is a SAAMI cartridge so reamers and dies are same. Whereas, the 6x45AI is not a SAAMI resulting in reamers and dies not necessarily matching. Also, since 6x45AI is not standardized it takes a little more effort to track down a reamer because not typically stored in inventory (no off-the-shelf)and reamer designs may differ... added cost of buying a reamer.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-09-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:42 PM

I have found at least a partial solution to the reamer issue. Many smiths have a piloted 223 AI reamer in hand, including my current smith. He is going to cut the chamber on mine using the 223 AI reamer wearing a 6mm pilot bushing, which will cut the chamber but not the neck and throat. I am buying a Manson off the shelf .243 Neck/throat reamer and he will use that to finish the chamber. Cheaper and allows a bit more flexibility on neck/throat dimensions....
Old 07-09-2021, 04:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Yes. Not looking for alternate calibre suggestions please.
I remember hearing from a friend about a couple of guys maybe 15 yeas ago who always responded to the, "You need y and not x" posts with "I like bacon".....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 07-09-2021, 04:57 PM

What weight/size bullets are you planning to use? Throat and free bore comes into play.

Aside from changing the body taper and shoulder angle, the neck becomes shorter in AI case. However, most AI reamers are still designed to accommodate a 223 with case length up to 1.760". After you form the AI case your chamber will have excess neck length (0.010"-0.015") that you want to take into consideration for determining how long to throat the rifle. Something for you and your gunsmith to think about.

From my experience on 223AI and 6x45AI, brass cases will shorten by 0.010" - 0.015" during the fireforming process. Depending upon the brand of donor brass and its beginning case length, the majority of AI cases will fall between 1.735"-1.745", with most hovering around the 1.741"-1.742" line. If your donor brass started out at upper range for .223 case length (1.755"-1.760") then you get closer to the 1.745". Lapua 223 brass is 1.750" resulting in 223AI cases that 1.739"-1.740".

Necking up from 223 to 6mm shortens the AI case another .003". After initial forming the 6x45AI cases will be closer to the 1.738" - 1.740" range.

Note: The aforementioned measurements are averages and will differ by brand of brass and also the specific chamber of the rifle.

I Like BACON!!!

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-09-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I have found at least a partial solution to the reamer issue. Many smiths have a piloted 223 AI reamer in hand, including my current smith. He is going to cut the chamber on mine using the 223 AI reamer wearing a 6mm pilot bushing, which will cut the chamber but not the neck and throat. I am buying a Manson off the shelf .243 Neck/throat reamer and he will use that to finish the chamber. Cheaper and allows a bit more flexibility on neck/throat dimensions....
Instead of partial solution, why not send 2-3 fired cases to a maker like John Whidden and have them make you a custom seating die, which matches your cartridge/chamber ? In the long run it would save you time and money. Just a thought.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:06 PM

BCB Well, I do like a good bacon and make my own to boot! I had searched past posts extensively before making this post, and encountered lots of x not y, followed by ain't x = y. Sometimes, life can be a festival of inevitability.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:11 PM

OSO, thank you for the detail on throats, etc. Very helpful sir.

Bill, a custom seater may just have to happen. I'm a bit of a cheap pr1ck is my biggest problem...