Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-13-2022, 04:07 AM

Default Sorting out Presses - MEC Marksman for Case Forming?

My parents' health has deteriorated rapidly over past year, which resulted in me pivoting life to stabilize/care for them. Other past 6 months I have seen enough 80 year old assets to justify the purchase of a momentary distraction. I bought an Area 419 Zero press. Please hold back any criticism on the purchase... Yes it was very expensive, but I just don't care. When I placed my order, it cost the same as a case (5K) of primers at 2021 pricing.

I plan to use one of my existing single-stage presses to do initial case forming for various cartridges.... at least for a while until I get a few scratches in the 419's paint. I have a Rockchucker and a MEC Marksman. Has anyone used a Marksman to do serious case forming, like forming 20Vtg out of 223 brass? If so how did the Marksman hold up under the strain?

This is a size comparison of the Area 419 versus the MEC. It is substantial!

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 02-13-2022 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:15 PM
Supporting Member

The RC has been around for a long time and for a good reason, the Marksman not so long. Support from RCBS is usually very good with spare or broken parts. How long will Mec support the Marksman if they stop making it.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:47 PM
Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your parents, always a tough time in life. My thinking parallels what Ray said. The RC would be the best choice for forming or any HD application. I would never use a turret press for these jobs. BTW have you got a form die to make the VT cases from 223?
Old 02-13-2022, 02:24 PM

Have not use that model press, but from what I have seen over the years, the presses with the movable head/die holders, just seem to wear fast and wobble and have too much play in them, in time.

Where as the RC and now maybe the new Rebel press, just hold up and work for years. I know the RC has been around for a very long time, and I believe it is so, due to it just being one well made and strong reloading press.

But everyone does and has their own opinion.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The RC has been around for a long time and for a good reason, the Marksman not so long. Support from RCBS is usually very good with spare or broken parts. How long will Mec support the Marksman if they stop making it.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In addition, I've never seen the words "serious case forming" before in relationship to small cartridges. The RCBS has been used for years by handloaders to step-by-step form much larger cartridges as well as being used for bullet making. The amount of pressure used for bullet making is significant, and users seem to have no problems with RCBS presses used for that purpose.

When I got into bullet swaging, I bought the Corbin CSP-1 press, and I have not regretted the purchase, but it too may have been overkill when looked at as a needed item for making 20 caliber bullets. For larger caliber bullets, I can see where it might have definite alignment advantages/strength over other presses designed specifically for handloading.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 02-13-2022 at 03:07 PM. Reason: looked up model name of Corbin swaging press......
Old 02-13-2022, 04:35 PM

I've formed 221 fireball cases from 223 cases on my old Rockchucker without issue. If things go beyond that. I dust off the old RCBS A4 "Big Max" press.
I'm a RCBS fan because of their support after the sale.

John
Old 02-13-2022, 10:32 PM

Guys - thanks for the feedback!!! The durability of the linkage for case forming was my concern on the Marksman. Looks like RC stays, and MEC finds a new home.

In my mind there are different levels of case forming based on complexity and amount of force required. "Serious" case forming include activities that require a lot of force/strain on the press, such as moving the shoulder and also necking down the cases like making .17 Fireball cases out of .223 cases.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:21 AM

I got tired of my RC throwing de-capped primers everywhere so I replaced it with a MEC Marksman. It seems to be excellent press & a big improvement over the RC. I've squished a lot of .308 cases into .250 Sav cases & the MEC never flinched. I haven't made 10,000 cases, but the MEC is a brute & gets my recommendation.

Just IMHO....
Old 02-14-2022, 12:27 AM

Well you might hang onto the MEC and set it and use for some general reloading, which it will handle very nicely.
But the old RC will work better, at least I believe, for your forming.
I know I form and size various wildcats, from 17FB, 20VT, 20SCC, 20-223Ai and others with no problem at all, even when taking 223 brass down to the 17fb/221fb size cases.

Even used it, in the past to form 223 bullets and used fired lr brass for cups, holding a piece of cut lead wire, produced those bullets without breathing heavy. Just another day for the old RC.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default Case forming press

LEE CAST CLASSIC. Made from steel not aluminum.