Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-13-2022, 04:42 PM

Default Bought an Annealeze and kinda sorry I did

In the last two weeks I have sent multiple messages using their email portal and still haven’t gotten a response. First off: Do I need to purchase an optional set of wheels to anneal 17 and 22 Hornet cases? Second, I burned the face of the electrical control panel and would be interested in purchasing a replacement part. Works fine, but I like to keep my tools looking like someone cares enough to keep them in good shape. It has been my experience that people who take good care of their tools also pay attention to detail and that is what separates them from the rest of the herd.

I had options when I purchased the machine and considered many. This lack of support impresses me that I made the wrong decision and would have been better off going with a competitor’s product. The machine works, and works very well that is not the issue. I’m sure the competition likewise, or at least some if not most of them. What I object to is being ignored when I have a post purchase question, particularly one that could be answered in a six or seven word sentence. That kind of customer service, or better yet lack of customer service leads me to question if this is an outfit I want to trade with or recommend to others.

In response to my first question I went ahead and ordered a set of the small wheels and if they duplicate what came on the machine the worst that can happen is I have a spare set of wheels. No real harm done other than that I have $25 tied up in spare parts if that is the case. On the second question I suppose I can scour the internet or look for a part number on the panel and source it on my own.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:16 AM

I have one and I needed to order a separate set of wheels to handle my 17CCM brass. The 17CCM brass is shorter than the Hornet, but I believe you will need the wheel for your 17 and 22 Hornet.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:40 PM

Yes you do. I just went ahead and ordered that kit after getting no response to my questions and finally this morning when I checked my email and had gotten the response. They are sending a new cover for the control panel along w/o charge. So they must have had some issue with getting my response out. I went with that machine after considering ALL options, including a $1,500 unit and made my decision based on what others had said regarding their customer service. After reading reviews and deciding what would best fit our needs, I was impressed by what I saw regarding post sale support and that is what had me frustrated.

A few of my friends were thinking I was going to buy a $1,500 inductive machine (I was close) and were kind of disappointed with my decision, but I'm the guy with three little kids and they will have to finance their own instead of using ours if what I have bought doesn't meet their expectations.

Regarding the Annealeze machine itself performance, it does a dandy job. I expect that it will serve our needs and will never need upgrading. I ran 750 20 Practical cases through it and they went through w/o a hitch. Bridged at the case hopper chute a couple times, but any gravity fed machine will do that. I made some 6mm Remington from 30-06 for a friend who couldn't find any and they went through just like advertised as well.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:06 PM
Supporting Member

Glad it worked out, but I have to say, people's expectations of IMMEDIATE responses has gotten completely out of hand. It wasn't very many years ago that snail mail was just fine. Now, you send an email and you expect someone sitting on the other end to reply right away. A lot of these small companies do not have the manpower to be able to do that, or to answer every phone call that comes in. I see nothing wrong with it taking a couple of weeks for a company to reply, especially when they clearly stand behind their product as well as these guys have.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:27 AM

What brand did you buy?

Hal
Old 02-15-2022, 12:58 PM

You complaint about customer response is legitimate under normal market conditions. These smaller owner operated manufacturing operations are buried just trying to manufacture the products.

I have an earlier version of the Annealeez. They work and are simple. The small wheels help, but you still have to pay attention to the placement of the torch and angle of the flame. I make sure to angle the flame so the it is directed outward away from the wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSc0UusPLWg&t=109s
Old 02-15-2022, 03:59 PM

My confusion resulted from me going to their sales page and seeing that there were only three kits available. Large Case kit, Small Case kit and Super Short Magnum kit. That being the case I wanted to know if what my machine came with was in fact the Small Case wheels on it or if what came on it were a fourth size that is only available on the machine and not shown as a separate kit.

I think that expecting at least acknowledgment that my correspondences have been received within a couple of weeks of having been sent is an entirely reasonable expectation. Once I gave up on trying to get clarification of the wheel issue and simply ordered the small wheel set I got acknowledgement of the order right away, as well as response to my earlier emails.

I have been putting together ammunition for shooting rockchuck and prairie dogs in 2022 for the last couple months and making sure we have how ever many thousands of rounds we need for each of the centerfire rifles. We have a new 17 Hornet and ICYMI buying 17 Hornet brass right now is not really an option. No big deal, PPU 22 Hornet makes up into better brass than Hornady anyway.

Here's the deal, in late January I set the Hornet brass aside and sent an email and shifted my focus to loading up a few hundred to a thousand rounds each of 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 20 P, 17 Rem, 204 R, 22-250 and 243 Win and was just waiting on the response regarding the wheel kit to finish up the 17 Hornet brass then break in the new barrel and develop a load for it before loading up that ammo.

We start rockchuck shooting the end of March and anyone who thinks that getting everything that needs to be done with a new barrel accomplished in under two months is a piece of cake is delusional. This new 17 Hornet barrel is for my six and eight year old kids and I really don't have any other option on that one. The other 17 & 22 Hornets stocks are too long for them.

Last edited by JDHasty; 02-15-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:37 PM

I just used my buddies a few weeks ago, 17 Remington and 17FB brass. Keep an eye on the short brass. I had some flip around and jam up the wheels. It will throw the wheels out of time.
The Hornet case may or may not have the same problem with the extra weight of the rim.

Took longer to set up the tip. I suggest having some cull brass. I had some with split necks, I will keep them for the next set up.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:07 PM

That is how I burned the face of the control panel. I was paying attention to getting the torch set right where I wanted on the shoulder and didn't notice I had it pointed back toward the machine. The earlier machines the flame pointed the other direction.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
That is how I burned the face of the control panel. I was paying attention to getting the torch set right where I wanted on the shoulder and didn't notice I had it pointed back toward the machine. The earlier machines the flame pointed the other direction.
We all got this lesson. I have the older version with the torch attached to the machine on the right side. I had to change out how the torch was attached to get better control of where it pointed. Also, dealing with the coiled gas hose is a PITA.

I changed out my torch to a finer tipped pencil torch and it really helped to focus the flame where I wanted it without sending additional heat back toward the wheels.

I bought a stainless steel bread pan to use to catch your brass. I elevate one side of it so that cases start piling up on one side and gradually start filling back to the other).
Another item worth using is a large cookie sheet. I lay this on the floor (concrete) and once the bread pan fills up with hot brass I dump the brass out on the cookie sheet to cool off faster.

These two items allow me to keep going on a large batch of brass without interruption.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 02-16-2022 at 12:58 PM.