Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 AM

In the Varmint Hunter article, referenced in this thread, it mentioned that the in the brass received for testing, case length overall ranged from 1.552" to 1.561". Other than that I wouldn't know.

If you're getting one of these 5X35 SMc rifles keep us informed about your experiences.

Calaveras County, California, USA

Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 PM

I re-read the article. I have a Savage LRPV on order in this caliber. The brass and Lee Dies are available thru Russ Hayden's Shooting Supplies. I will contact McPherson directly to find the max case length and trim to length. I wioll most certainly kep you posted. I will run it up against a 204 Ruger, 20 tactical, and 22-250.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 AM

Default 5/35 SmC owners remarks

MontDoug is on the money. If you look at an earlier post I did on my experience with a 5mm/35, it pretty well equals Dougs performance with a 20 Dasher. That said I have equaled the results that Smalley and McPherson have written about (although I have not received the latest Precision Shooting). The powders that I have used succesfully are TAC with 40 grain Noslers running at 4250 fps, (39 grain Sierras disintigrate at this velocity) 748 with 35 grain Bergers at roughly 4350 fps, and Exterminator with 32 grain Noslers. I've loaded but not shot (over a chronagraph) loads with vv540, 335 and Benchmark.I'm quite pleased with the chambering.

I have the Norma brass that is headstamped 5mm/smc but by far prefer brass that I've formed from Lapua 6mm BR by running it though a 22BR and then the 5mm/35 die.

I'll respond further after I have seen the Precision Shooting article. But as things stand now I concur with just about everything that McPherson has written. My results agree with his. However the 5mm/35 dosn't seem to have any significant advantage over the 20 Dasher. But since I own a 5mm/35 already I think I'll keep it.

Bob
Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Bob:

What is your brass case trim to length and your maximum case length for the 5 X35? I've been unable to obtain it from anyone.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM

Bob:

Does the eliptical shoulder fire form or does the 5mm X35 SMc die form it?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 AM

Default Maximum overall length

Duckman:
The maximum overall length of the case is 1.565 inches in my chamber. I arrived at this figure by making a plug to fit inside a 5mm/35 case and chambering it in my rifle. (copying the plug sold by Sinclair). I trimmed my brass to 1.560. I have a Wilson trimmer and use a BR holder which works great.

Tom:
The case needs to be fireformed to blow out the parabolic shoulder. A benifit to using Lapua Brass is that when I neck turned it a slight amount I ended up with about .001 clearence. Tightneck benifits I don't have to resize my brass just deprime and reload.

Bob
Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 AM

Bob:
Do you reduce your fireforming loads slightly or just load the full load? Your chamber length gauge idea was worth a steak dinner. I owe you one! Have you loaded any VihtaVuori N540? I hope to work up a 40 gr V-max load with it.

Tom
Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 AM

Default vv540

Tom:

I originally loaded the Lapua brass to work up loads as I fireformed. I really haven't found any difference in loading pressures , accuracy or point of impact when I've reloaded and fired the fireformed brass. The loads that shot well fireforming are the ones I use on varmints. I loaded up a batch (50) in increment increases of .5 grains with VVN540 to test for accuracy and maximum pressures last winter but I haven't fired them yet. If the weather co-operates I plan to shoot them on Saturday. Up to this point I've been pretty cautious in load development. My Maximum loads so far are listed below, I list maximum as the point when the bolt gets sticky and I can see ejector marks on the softer Norma brass. Groups are for 5 shots center to center. Conditions 85 degrees windy close to 100% humidity. All bullets are Moly coated. Remember that these loads were developed in my rifle and I not sure what presurres are yet, although I assume that they are safe. Your rifle and loads may vary so be extremely careful.

BenchMark powder 31.5 grains max,CCI BR4 primers 40 grain Nosler .607 no chrono results

Exterminator 32.0 not maximum yet, CCI BR4 primers Nosler 32 grain 4367fps

748 WW 34.5 max, CCI BR4 primers, 39 grain Sierras,.425 no chrono results

TAC 33.5 not max, CCI BR4 Primers, 40 grain Nosler 4256 fps .13, 4259 fps, 39 grain Sierra bullets disintegrate at this velocity This is the load that I use to shoot varmints.

IMR 3031 30.0 not max, Remington 7.5 primers 32 grain Hornady, .695, 4179 fps (Too damn hard to get powder in case)

I also have cases loaded but not fired as yet with H322 and 4895.

At this point I am going to continue to shoot development loads with what I think is appropriate powder and the Nosler Bullets - concentrating on the 40 grain, but also using up the 32 grain bullets I still have. I will also play with the 35 grain Berger. But I have what I consider the load - TAC powder 33.5 grains, 40 grain Nosler and I'm still comparing Remington 7.5, CCI Small Rifle Magnum and the CCI BR4 primers. I'll be going dog shooting in Western Kansas in two weeks and with the temperature in the high 90s and low 100s I'll have proof positive of pressure. I'm taking a small ice chest just in case.

This cartridge has been absolutely superb as a varmint rifle. Trajectory out to roughly 400 yds is so flat that hold over isn't necessary. Misses were for the most part over target. Devastating terminal results - prairie dogs decapitated with the heads 30 feet from the body. I'm using a 16X Leupold MK IV and the field of view is limited so what I see is a red rocket moving rapidly out of the scope view followed by the sound of a loud thump. I'm going to change to l0 power scope soon so I can see the acrobatics.

The 39 grain Sierras leave spectacular contrails going down range at high velocities.

Bob
Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 PM

Bob:
I hope the weather holds for you to shoot and test the VVN540 tomorrow. I will be very interested in your results. Why are you trending towards the 40 gr Nosler's vs 40 gr v-max? How do you apply the moly since I can't find any 20 cal bullets with moly already applied? Your Kansas dog town hunt will be the true test. I have heard the stories about the devastating hitting power. of this caliber. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
Tom
Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 AM

Default Answer to Mr Rucker

Tom:

The only reason I use the Nosler 40 grain rather than the Hornaday are that:

a) The nosler 50 grain has worked out to be my bullet of choice in 222, 223, and one of My 220 Swifts. I originally tried both Sierra 39 grain and Hornaday 40 grain in my 5mm/35SMc and the Sierras were more accurate than the Hornaday bullets. Nosler 40 grain were not on any shelves that I could find. As I worked up to maximum velocity I discovered that the very accurate 39 Grain sierras began to come apart at velocities exceeding 4000 fps.

b) In McPhersons's article He had mentioned that the Nosler bullets were going to have thicker jackets so I tried the and they delivered both accuracy and holding together.

I have an older Thumbler's Tumbler rock/brass tumbler. I put a bunch of BB's in the Thumbler with Bullets that I have washed in dishwasher detergent and dried with about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Moly powder per 500 bullets and tumble for a couple of hours. I then open the lid of thr tumbler and look to see that the bullets are plated - ie. not showing copper metal through the moly coating. I pour the contents of the tumbler container through a plastic collender that I have drilled the holes out to slightly bigger than BBs and separate the bullets from the BBs. A messy job, your hands will be black with Moly. I then take the bullets and roll them on a Turkish towel to get excess moly off and package and load the bullets as I need them.

I understand that you can put the bullets in pill bottles and coat them in a vibratory brass polisher and that is what one of my shooting buddies does. He doesn't wash his bullets and also doesn't use BB's, but my experience has been that the coating is superior if the bullets are washed and the moly is punded in by BBs or small Ball bearings. The classic formula then calls for the bullets to be coated in exotic wax, but my experience has not found a need for the wax coating.

Like the 5mm/35SMc you will get a lot of flack on Moly coated bullets. Ignore the nay sayers and experiment before you decide that it doesn't work. As I said earlier, I am really pleased with both the Savage Action and the 5mm/35 chambering. The Savage 20 caliber barrel in my estimation could be of higher quality (far fewer tool marks) but the accuracy is exemplimary and the results I have been getting both off the bench and in the field agree with McPhersons articles.

I like the Savage action so much that I built a tight neck 222 on one of them and with a Kreiger barrel - it also is supurbly accurate. I have ben amazed at how quickly I've adapted to right bolt left port actions.

I'll let you know the relults of shooting the VV N540 loads and my Prairie dog expedition.

Remember that Perrier Water with Lime is the choice drink on the high plains in Summer while controlling the rodent population.

Bob