Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-06-2013, 03:48 PM

I put a Model 4200 6-24X Bushnell side focus on mine last summer - REALLY like that scope - only 13" long and fits the CZ beautifully.
The mil dots give me zeros to 520yards.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
I looked at a buckmaster on Tuesday. They seemed brighter than the Redfield I also looked at. The cross hair was fairly thick and made me wonder how it would work on small targets (translation: prairie dog heads) at a distance. Which cross hair did you select.
I bought the Mil-Dot reticle, I wanted to try one, and the HH seemed to be a good vehicle for that. I have a BDC on another of the Buckmasters, and I despise that reticle. I can't figure out what it would be good for, and when I talked to some Nikon engineers at the NRA Convention in 2008, they couldn't explain it, either (and didn't even know WHAT A PRAIRIE DOG WAS )
The optics DID impress me, though, and I knew I wanted another one (or two or three), I just knew that the BDC reticle wasn't in the picture any more).
Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 AM

I'm using a Leupold Mk3 6.5-20x40 1" AO tube with varmint hunter reticle.
I try to limit my 17HH shots to 300 yds, I take a 20VT with me also and use it for longer ranges.
I really like my Ruger 77 17HH, it is very accurate even with factory ammo.

My 20VTs are a Cooper MTV and Dakota Serious Predator, both wear Leupold Or glass.

Dave
Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM

I have Leupold 6-18 X AO and 6.5-20 X AO scopes on my more longer range varmint rifles. But for the 17 Hornet I have a 4-16 X AO Nikon Monarch scope. Next spring when the prairie dog pups come out I ll find out if I like it when set at 16 X. There are a few jack rabbits an my land so I ll be giving it a try set on 8 X after the new year. Whats best depend upon what and where one is shooting.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Supporting Member

Throughout my internet years I've tried all of the latest and greatest scope suggestions (great optics/less money, rated best by far of what I looked through in store light , etc.) that you see floating around, and I've bought a few of the suggestions just to see what all the fuss is about.

All in all, I end up going back to what works best for me: a Leupold VX-3 or better grade of Leupy scope. Leupold scopes always perform well, do what I want, and for me they provide the best look at something I want to hit at various ranges. On the very rare occasions something bad happens to a scope (which is usually my fault anyway...), it gets sent off to Leupold and comes back to me in quick time once again in great working order.

Just my experience. Anymore I just grin slightly at the latest and greatest offering to hit the market for less money that has the internet all atwitter, and I continue to buy what I know works for me. YMMV, as they say.

-BCB

PS: A decent resale value on all of the wonder scopes I've sold have been from poor to non-existent in a couple of cases. Leupolds always sell for good money on the second hand market because they are good scopes with an established value. Again, YMMV........

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-08-2013, 04:44 PM

I have found over the years I like the 4-16x scopes. However I do have a new Zeiss for the 17 HH.

The question for me isn't what optic but what reticle.

Greg

Last edited by albertacoyotecaller; 12-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:47 PM

I agree with BCB.
My 17H has a VXIII in 8.5-25 as do several other rifles. I know it's a lot of scope but seeing things far away and making them look big sure gives my wife (and me) more confidence. This rig is her favorite to shoot. I always say use the equipment that makes you a better shot, not someone else.

I will give a nod to Sightron scopes as well. They seem to have a great lineup and pay attention to specific needs. I have 3 SIII scopes and like them a lot.

Del
Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacoyotecaller View Post
I have found over the years I like the 4-16x scopes. However I do have a new Zeiss for the 17 HH.

The question for me isn't what optic but what reticle.

Greg
Buying a reticle for the job at hand is a given in all situations. You can't hit something where you want to if it's partially hidden behind dots and heavy lines.

In the same manner, it's tough to hit something at a random distance if you get a poor view of it in terms of clearness and clarity.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM

Your absolutely correct. I find that once shooting and as the day goes on I am cranking that power down to 12-14x so getting the best scope I can afford in that power range is crucial to me.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:20 PM

I have a MTC 4-16X50 ill on my 17A/H I also have a MTC 4-16x50 ill with target turrets on my Annie 22LR and i am looking to buy annother one for my Granddaughters 17HMR to my mind the value for money cant be beaten they only cost me less than £300 and i shoot alongside my mate with a Zeise and as the light fades the Zeise has onlt about 10 min extra shooting.Wally

Tags
17 hornet, scope