Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 11-11-2019, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Default Sometimes the Gods smile at you...

instead of thumbing His nose. I've been messed up 3 times the past week by the neighbor cutting trees. We had an awful storm the other week and he had a logger come in and drop some dead ash trees by his house. One fell last week and clipped his deck and his wife's car. I get it. He's worried. But does he HAVE to do it right in the middle of the rut? It wouldn't bother me any other time of the year, but these trees are 75 yards from my stand.

My boss texted me today, all dang morning. He missed a big 8, saw several other bucks. He told me I might consider getting "sick" this afternoon. Hey, if the boss tells me to leave to go hunt... I was watching the clock all day. Was planning on leaving at 1. I decided to roll out at 12:30. Sure glad I did.

I hurried home, changed into my clothes. Walked out back, saw it was way too hot and I was dressed too warm. So I took some off and hustled out to my treestand, about 75 yards off my back porch. Everything was quiet. I didn't bust out anything bedded nearby. It's 1:10PM. Got up the tree and texted my boss and a buddy and told them I was up. Very shortly thereafter I hear the neighbor out. The same one that's screwed me up a few times this past week. He started his tractor and was yelling over top of the engine at someone. "Great, another night ruined."

Wait...movement. Here comes a doe into my shooting lane. They must have been bedded on the bench above the neighbor's house and he spooked them right to me. She looks back and squats. Uh, oh...she's not alone. I catch movement in the brush. First thing I see is horns. Oh crap, I'm sitting and not ready and she's out in the open. She moves behind stuff, I stand and grab the bow. The buck follows. She cuts back on the trail I call "The Gauntlet" which is only 15 yards from my tree. Wind is perfect. She gets thru the opening, the buck follows on the trail and stops. He looks right at me for what seemed like a minute. For sure I'm busted. The doe takes a few more steps into the brush out of his view. He can't resist.

It all happened so fast. "Should I shoot or pass. I'll pass. No, he looks pretty good. Yeah, shoot." As he got behind some brush I draw. He keeps walking. I'm running out of room. No time to stop him. It felt right. I settle the pin and release without hesitation. WHACK! I can see the arrow, it hit the opposite leg and did not pass thru. Perfect hit, mid body behind the leg. Blood is gushing. Crash, crash, crash for 75 yards, he gets wobbly and goes down! I sit back down to try to regain my composure. It's now 1:20. I've only been in the tree 10 minutes!

Suddenly all hell breaks loose in front of me. Deer running everywhere. The doe had circled, and another buck has picked up her trail. He's smaller, thank goodness. WAIT...there's another one. Crap, he might be bigger than the one I shot? Oh well, my tag is filled. They crash around me for about 5 minutes. Literal pandemonium. She's giving it all she's got and the bucks are right on her. Then they run past my house and all goes quiet again.

What a show! I take it all in for a few minutes, then it starts...the chainsaw. Neighbor is cutting those trees again, 75 yards in front of me. Oblivious to what just happened. I'm not going to tell him.

He's not the biggest buck in the world. A respectable PA buck though, and a trophy to me. I'll get a Euro mount and display in my office. (Sue says I have enough dead crap on the walls at home, ha ha!) Some might criticize me for shooting it. The other neighbor's are all about big deer, in fact he shot one last week. Yeah, I know, you gotta let them grow. But 9 out of 10 other hunters in the area would have shot this buck without hesitating. He's my best PA archery buck, in fact my best PA buck. I'm happy and my freezer is full, that's all that matters.

8 point, +/-16" spread, 150 lbs dressed on the scale. (Pardon the glare off the bald head.) You can see my climbing sticks on the tree just to the left of my head. It's the BEST archery rut stand I have ever hunted.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations Charlie, now you can hunt across the line.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Supporting Member

Congratulations Charlie. There's no shame in that fine buck you harvested there!! And thanks for sharing the great day you experienced.

P.S. You still have more hair left than me!!

Last edited by thekriebles; 11-12-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Congrats on a good one!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:08 PM

Congratulations! Looks good to me, any animal with a bow is a trophy!
Bill
Old 11-12-2019, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekriebles View Post
You still have more hair left than me!!
Yeah, but it all slid down to my chin.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Supporting Member

Default Archery Buck

Way to go Charlie,
I'll be heading for the stand in a little bit. This will give some food for thought while I hopefully wait for a buck.
Stan
Old 11-21-2019, 12:38 AM

Had too many hunts over the years like yours. Bottom line, iffn you're not in a stand, it ain't gonna happen.
Fine buck, congrats!
Old 11-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Supporting Member

That's a dandy