Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-09-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSam View Post
Hi folks,

Appreciate you feedback and/or suggestions.

For a number of years I have been pondering varmint rifle in 243 Win, i.e. M700, M77, etc. So what are you thoughts, likes and dislikes and why?

In being up front, Coopers are out my budget. trying to keep things under 800ish. New or gently used.

22-250 has never really excited me.

Thank you in advance.

Michael.
Define Varmint - If you are talking coyote and the occasional shot then the 243 is a fine caliber for that. If you are talking PD's and ground squirrels then you need to think more along the line of the 223 or one of the 20 calibers.

There have been some good suggestions as far as brands of rifles. Cabelas has the Rem 700 Varmint model on sale for $400, add another $100 for an upgraded trigger and you are home.

Likes - Rem 700 have a huge aftermarket support in case you ever want to change something on them. If you decide to move on to another rifle they are very easy to sell - there is always someone looking for one to either shoot as is or modify. The newer Rem 700's have all shot very well for me
Dislikes - I am not a fan of the SPS finish but it works and for $400 you can't expect a high polish blue job. Their synthetic stocks are sort of funky but they work so it makes it hard to badmouth them too much.

drover
Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Supporting Member

Helping to clear up any confusion. Looking at going with something with a traditional varmint barrel in 243 Win. Will see both bench field use.

Re: pretty gun or pretty groups, Yes. I need to work on that and get over my fixation that most savages need to be wrapped in a paper bag.

Selection, confirgurations, options sure have changed over the years.

Checked out Cabella's, 223, 22-250, 308, and 6.5 Whatfore, oops Creedmoor. Sigh.

PS.

Done deal. Found a 243 700 VLS NIB.
Thank you for everyones input.

Last edited by AzSam; 11-09-2020 at 11:40 PM.