Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-13-2019, 12:15 AM

In the early 1980's thru Shotgun News there were auctions. They would list there offerings and you'd mail a bid. If you won you'd forward payment. I bid on a pre 64 model 70 in 264 Winchester that had been converted into a left handed configuration by an unknown smith. I won. The rifles conversion was well done but I couldn't get it to shoot. Being that the 264 has a reputation as a barrel burner I let it go down the road. Being only slightly smarter now than then I wonder if that barrel wasn't just cooper fouled, and I made a mistake.

Last edited by david s; 11-13-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: to spell auctions properly
Old 11-13-2019, 12:25 AM

BCB,
Since you have it in the Burris Siganture rings why not just buy the Burris off-set inserts? I'll bet that using them you can end up with the crosshairs close enough to center that they won't be bothersome.

My tale of woe - I had a Model 70 pre-64 Featherweight in 264 mag and like yours it could have passed for new if I would have had the hang tags and box, anyway after shooting it a bit I decided it was too much "boom and bellow" for me with the short 22 inch barrel. Mine actually grouped very well and I don't remember it kicking too badly but then I was a lot younger at that time.

Congrats on a neat find.

drover
Old 11-13-2019, 01:22 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
BCB,
Since you have it in the Burris Siganture rings why not just buy the Burris off-set inserts? I'll bet that using them you can end up with the crosshairs close enough to center that they won't be bothersome.

My tale of woe - I had a Model 70 pre-64 Featherweight in 264 mag and like yours it could have passed for new if I would have had the hang tags and box, anyway after shooting it a bit I decided it was too much "boom and bellow" for me with the short 22 inch barrel. Mine actually grouped very well and I don't remember it kicking too badly but then I was a lot younger at that time.

Congrats on a neat find.

drover

Thanks, drover.......

I had considered the Burris offset inserts but instead decided to just go with a new scope. This old one deserved retirement based on age only.

I bet that a 22" barrel in a FW was indeed a boomer.....!! This rifle has the standard 26" barrel. The recoil is not that bad but its definitely not a 243 going off....... As a hunting rifle it will get carried more than shot and when a hunting rifle gets used, recoil is not a major issue anyway.

Take care.........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 11-13-2019, 04:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

BCB: Glad you made a find you like.

Aaron: I'd bet your barrel is dirty whether you can see it or not.
Run some copper cleaner thru it and see. OR a barrel scope to make sure.

Back in '63 fresh out of retiring from the AF. Uncle joined us on an elk hunt
with a Sako .264. I have no idea what ammo or bullets he used. He did shoot 3 or 4 elk and said they were all hit right.

I tracked two of them for miles dripping blood on the snow. Never did get to
see them. I'm sure they had surface splash. Bullets back then were sorry as
could be. They'd either blow up, or punch right thru. That was the most common problems we had those days and why the "oldtime elk killers" insisted on nothing less than 180gr bullets and at least an '06 for size.

After seeing uncle Franks doings I never had a desire for a .264 and some reason I never liked a M-70. Mostly over the safety setup. Dad loved his in '06.

Wish you guys well with 'em.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Supporting Member

Just to follow up..... the old Model 70 now has a new Leupy VX-3i 3.5X10 aboard. Its been bore sighted and hopefully it and I are headed to the range this weekend to get it fully sighted in.

The old rifle needs to get some blood on it this season. From its appearance, I wonder if it has ever been blooded in its entire life since 1961.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:36 PM
Supporting Member

Picture? Cmon, man! I wish they made it easier to post a pic, like it is on FB. with all the technology you think putting pictures on a forum would be easier!
Old 11-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Supporting Member

Posting pictures here isn't tough if you've taken any pictures to post.................. So far I haven't. Sorry.

-BCB

Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 AM

Bayou City Boy - lucky "find" indeed.
I have a 10X Unertle scope like that.
Adjustable mounts like the old Beuler (maybe) mounts, are the best way of dealing with those, if you can find them. I couldn't.
Leupold or Redfield as well, cranking and shimming 1-piece bases.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:56 PM

One of our neighbors when I was growing up had a Sako .264, which he was hyped on. No doubt it was a nice rifle, but his son killed a lot of deer, too, and he was using a Remington 742 in 6mm, (and that was SO much better than the .243s everyone else was using, lol).

No one else we knew had a .264, but we knew ABOUT them, because Jack O'Connor told us so. When it was my time to "upgrade" from the .243, I went with a .270, and still use them to this day.
What the heck, they ALL kill deer/elk/whatever, you just have to aim them right.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:41 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
Posting pictures here isn't tough if you've taken any pictures to post.................. So far I haven't. Sorry.

-BCB
It’s note a toy easy, you have to use photo bucket or some other website to do it. That is not easy, like everything else on social media.