Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2019, 12:50 PM

Location: Blasted hellish frozen Northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

Dog to tree coon. A big flashlight. Shoot coon between the eyes with a .22 when you see the light reflected from its eyes.

How it was done where I grew up.

This guy down the road and his hound dog 'ol 3 toes used to do this a lot, before alcoholism, pickup truck accidents and the whole business of accidentally shooting 3 toes right between the eyes instead of the coon put a damper on things (the second time Dennis shot this dog, how did you think the hound LOST that toe?).

The dog survived, but the wound destroyed its olfactory lobe pretty much. Dennis's dad still took him hunting (the dog, not Dennis). Last time I saw him, dad mentioned he still got coons regularly hunting by sight and ear.

Poor old 3 toes. He put up with a lot.

Last edited by bert2368; 10-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:00 PM

A bit OT but the Great Coon Wars started when my lovely bride, a city gal thought feeding and naming the coons was a smart idea. Me? No. All I said is it isn't going to end well for the coons. Within 6 months one let himself in the doggie door and ate out of the dog bowl, her pet ducks were dead and my Eastern Bluebirds sitting on a nest were dead. Talking with local farmers I found sweet corn crops were being decimated by the over population of coons. So, short story long, any coon raiding our bird feeders gets turned into buzzard fodder.

Last edited by 56S; 10-01-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
We have so many fine calibers and cartridges too enjoy and each of us picks and chooses what we want to try and use.
Now would it not be nice if each of us, one way or the other, did not berate a cartridge or caliber that a person chooses and just enjoy each others comments, stories, experiences and be one happy brotherhood of shooters Bill K
There seems to be a lot of that on here lately.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:03 AM

I took two guys from Colorado on a hog hunt in August. During the hunt they routinely mistook groups of raccoons (5-10) as pigs... and fired upon them. Only one raccoon went to the Happy Corn Feeder in the Sky. My raccoons in the river bottom get up to the +30 pound mark.

What are the odds - I just got a call from them to see about another "Coon" hunt...

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 10-02-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
I took two guys from Colorado on a hog hunt in August. During the hunt they routinely mistook groups of raccoons (5-10) as pigs... and fired upon them.
D@₩^!

The first time I saw a sounder of wild hogs crossing a field I was driving past in central WI, I thought: Darn, those are some ugly dogs. By the time I had passed them, I had figured out these were NOT dogs.

But mistaking COONS for HOGS? Long enough to drop a hammer?! I now feel better about my target ID skills.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
I took two guys from Colorado on a hog hunt in August. During the hunt they routinely mistook groups of raccoons (5-10) as pigs... and fired upon them. Only one raccoon went to the Happy Corn Feeder in the Sky. My raccoons in the river bottom get up to the +30 pound mark.

What are the odds - I just got a call from them to see about another "Coon" hunt...
How much for a coon hunt? I'll be hunting Texas in February.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

I'll take you on a coon hunt😮
Old 10-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I'll take you on a coon hunt😮
You're in Texas?
Old 10-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2368 View Post
D@₩^!

The first time I saw a sounder of wild hogs crossing a field I was driving past in central WI, I thought: Darn, those are some ugly dogs. By the time I had passed them, I had figured out these were NOT dogs.

But mistaking COONS for HOGS? Long enough to drop a hammer?! I now feel better about my target ID skills.
It was Classic.,.small hogs I see are 80-100lbs and usual suspect is 120-150lbs. No way to confuse the two in my book...small ears, fluffy tail, no snout, and periodically standing on back legs...oh Yeah ... and climbing ladder on feeder. If you have 5-10 minutes to watch animals feed in open area then you should be able to figure it out... After the 2nd set of raccoons were shot at (1 killed) I dragged its corps over to where the dead pigs were for a side by side comparison. I should mention this is at 50 yards with scoped rifle, which is not much different than shooting from 50 yard line at outdoor range.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 10-03-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:21 PM

I can't figure out HOW someone can miss a racoon at 50 yards with a scoped centerfire rifle, let alone confuse it through the glass with a different species.

I guess I don't get out much?