Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

Just for the record, I too grew up in my early years extremely close to a field littered with pd mounds where I used a 22 LR exclusively to shoot them in my younger life. In my later life as an adult I chose to drive or fly to shoot them so that I could l live where I chose for various reasons - both personal and economic - specific to my family and to me.

Both of my sons have suppressors and both enjoy using them. For me, they simply are not a needed option to enjoy shooting. I can remember hearing here years ago that someone couldn't imagine hunting with electronic muffs, but for me they have worked for years doing just that when other shooters didn't use any hearing protection at all. To each his own.

As for accuracy issues, both of my sons have noticed increased powder fouling on several rifles where suppressors are used. Neither has said anything about an accompanying decrease in accuracy. Its just something that they have noticed while cleaning rifles. I have no idea but maybe its powder specific for some reason?

My opinions on various topics expressed here are my own and I share them here for others to use or to not use. The last time that I checked there was still freedom of choice available to all of us, and I hope that each person is capable of making their own decisions on whatever the topic might be. Just because one person might do something that another person doesn't do does not mean that one person has to be right and the other person has to be wrong for the decisions that they make. At least that not the case in my world.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-13-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Suppressor on 17AH

Thanks again for the responses.

Chuck
Old 06-14-2020, 01:06 PM

I've seen increased powder fouling on everything I shoot suppressed. Which, anymore, pretty much everything that I shoot wears a can. I'm in the would never shoot anything without a can again, ever, if I had my druthers, camp.
And in fact, find the suppressors most enjoyable on the diminutive rounds.

A suppressed .17 HMR is just so nice, I'd never want to go back to shooting one without.

But anyway... Yes, increased powder fouling. On the more intense chamberings, increased hard carbon fouling.

Which, of course effects accuracy. To what extent, after how many rounds, dependent on at least a few variables including expansion ratio and powder used.

- DAA
Old 06-14-2020, 09:36 PM
Supporting Member

I guess I'm in the minority here. I have been shooting and hunting with a suppressor the last few years, both PD's and deer.

Without a doubt, the suppressor helps with deer, especially at extended ranges and when hunting with another person that has tags. It allows both of us to be successful, since the deer typically have no clue what is going on until the deed has been done. And I'll be truthful here, I hunt for meat, not horns, so to me it means (hunting suppressed) that the freezer gets filled more easily. The pickings are easy up near Montdoug's haunts (in between and south of Livingston and Big Timber, heading up into the Crazy Mountains), on private land that gets little to no hunting pressure, and so we're usually already done packing ice into them at "The Fort" and having breakfast in Big Timber by 10 am...

As to shooting PD's, it does make it easier when you have 4 or so people whacking PD's on unhunted towns. Year before last, we had 3 with suppressors and one without. It was pretty obvious when the one guy without fired, how many more dogs went down their holes. Suppressed, one farmer and I cleaned out probably 20+ dogs before they had a clue what was going on. That wind that will muffle a shot? Well, that works even more with a suppressed rifle.

As to cleaning the rifles and cans, yeah, it can be more work. But we have found a 50/50 mix of CLR helps. Just dump the whole can in it and let it sit for 15 mins. Once the sludge quits oozing out, we'll open up the cans and use a baffle jack to screw jack the baffles out, and then it's just a matter of wiping the remaining sludge off the baffles. Takes about 30 mins. If you're feeling crafty, a 2.5" PVC pipe with an end cap and an upside down drain grate (for a standing base) for said 2.5" pipe on the end, creates a nice little stand up vessel to hold the CLR mix and suppressor without too much mess or excess mix needed.

The biggest problem shooting suppressed is not the clean up, or the carbon build up. It (the can) doesn't affect accuracy IME. What does affect accuracy is the mirage off the can when it gets hot. Snell's law and all that make it interesting when you start seeing your shots go high. Usually we take that as a sign to take a break, drink a coke and let others take some shots.

I'm down to one functioning ear now, so between the electronic ear pro (Sordins with gel cups) and the suppressor, I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that my remaining ear is being protected, so that's just how I roll now. Even deer hunting, I'm in my Sordins and sporting a Dakota can on my 6.5CM. Besides, when it's cold and snowing, the ear pro keeps the frost bite off the ears (can't feel the right one to even know it's getting bit, LOL!).

I'm sure this is like religion, in that everyone has what works for them, and that's what they just believe. <shrug> Horses for courses...everyone has their thing, and that's just fine by me.

Tim

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell

Last edited by MarinePMI; 06-14-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:04 PM

I've got three .17 Ackley Hornet barrels for my Thompson-Center TCR-87's (hammerless single-shot break-over) guns. One of them is 18.5 inches long and has a 7-inch long silencer on it so it is about as long as an unsilenced bolt gun with a 21-inch barrel so it is not cumbersome. Before having the barrel made up and buying the silencer I was a little concerned that the expense might not be worthwhile as a .17 Hornet is supersonic and the bullet's crack cannot be silenced.

Before that I had an 18.5-inch .220 Swift barrel made with a 9-inch suppressor and my buddy and I did some not very scientific testing. I drove away 1/2-mile and he shot it a few times, always with the bullet at a right angle to me and shooting at a spot in a field about 300 yards from him. It sounded like a shotgun shot from at least a mile away. A person in a vehicle or house with closed windows would not hear it but a person outside in a quiet area would but would not think it was a centerfire rifle. Then he fired my .17 Hornet. It was much, much, much loader!

Years before we had done another experiment when out prairie dog shooting. I got down in a gullie and he shot over me (maybe about 10 feet) with first his .22-250 and then with the .17 Remington I had then. The sonic crack of his .22-250 sounded like a 1-1/2 inch firecracker while the sonic crack from the .17 Remington sounded like a smaller lady finger firecracker. I have since read that the sonic crack from a bullet depends on its diameter only and that its increasing speed over sonic does not make it louder.

Now, comparing the silenced .220 Swift to the silenced .17 Hornet. There is no comparison. The silenced .17 Hornet is much, much quieter than the .220 Swift. It only burns about 1/3 the powder and probably has much less pressure at the muzzle. And the .220 Swift lost about 400 fps with its short barrel compared to the .17 Hornet losing only less than 100 fps. In addition, I think animals hit with a silenced rifle tend to not run off as much as when hit with a loud rifle where they know where the danger came from. I got a coyote at 203 yards with that rifle and it just rolled around on the ground for a few seconds before dying but I think if it knew where the danger was from it would have run off 75 yards or so.

In short, the silenced .17 Hornet is now my favorite rifle and I would not sell it for $10 K if I couldn't get another one just like it.