Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-27-2021, 04:06 PM

I'm generally not a big fan of spending any money on a factory barrel but if you are doing the work yourself and there is enough shank on the barrel to cut off set it back and rechamber to 20VT you could give it a go. If you plan to shoot 32-35gr bullets it being a 12tw shouldn't be a problem.

Any idea of round count? Does it shoot well now as a 204? Even doing the work yourself those would be helpful determining factors. If you're looking for a project, you can do the work yourself, and the barrel doesn't have a ton of rounds through it, go for it. The worst you'd be out is your time and it's not like used factory barrels have a whole lot of value so there's no real loss.

If you aren't doing the work yourself and you have to pay someone to chamber it I'd opt for a new barrel.

As for shooting suppressed versus unsuppressed, even if the critters do nothing different, not having to wear ear protection all day makes it worth for me.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:02 PM

Default XR 100 Remington Project 204

Thought I would post the outcome on this project. I took some advice here and had my gunsmith just remove the 204R barrel from this XR100 Rem rather than try to rechamber to 20VT. Will just hang on to the facory barrel...maybe screw it back on if I want to shoot 204 as I keep a barrel vise in the truck.
He then threaded/chambered an X caliber blank with a friends reamer. Its 22" long and threaded for suppressor...then topped with a Sightron 4-20 SFP scope with MOA 2 reticle. I intend to shoot lighter bullets so the 1:12 should be fine.
Yesterday it shot 2 different loads 1/2 MOA so off to a good start. Using RL 7 with 26gr Barnes greneades and AA2200 with 32gr vmax. Also from recomendations here on Saubier.
Headed to MT next week to give it a real workout on P dogs.
Thanks for the help on a fun project!

Last edited by gopher; 08-23-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-25-2021, 03:27 PM

I just bought a Tikka T3x compact in 204 Ruger. I gave all the 204 Ruger brass and ammo I had to the guy that bought my CZ 527 204 a couple years ago but now I find myself with another 204 and as anyone with one of these things knows finding 204 Ruger brass isn't very easy. I'd even settle for buying some Hornady Superformance 32gr Vmax ammo, that stuff shot really well in my CZ 204, but finding that is even more laughable.

I'm seriously considering having the barrel set back and rechambered in 20P, another 20-222, or maybe even a 20-221 could be fun although I'm not sure how well that short little FB case will feed through these Tikka mags. I have a bunch of Lapua brass for all three as well as dies so reloading components is a non issue.

Since this little Tikka I have only has a 20in barrel something shooting less powder like a 20-221 could be a fun little project I'm just not sure how well that size case will feed through the Tikka magazine. I probably should just seat a handle full of bullets in some FB cases and do a dry run.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:02 PM

Default 204

I do have some 1x fired 204 from Horn super performance ammo if decide to keep it that way. I had a Tika in 223 once and wished it had a shorter bolt...its seemed too long for the 223 family and shorter. Can you buy single shot followers for those?
Old 08-27-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I do have some 1x fired 204 from Horn super performance ammo if decide to keep it that way. I had a Tika in 223 once and wished it had a shorter bolt...its seemed too long for the 223 family and shorter. Can you buy single shot followers for those?
I was able to get a 50cnt box of Nosler 204 brass so when I get some time I may work up a load and see how it shoots as is. That would certainly be the easiest way to go.

I'm relatively new to the whole Tikka thing so I don't really know what is and isn't all available for them so I don't know if a single shot follower is available. They seem to be very popular so it wouldn't surprise me if somebody makes one.

After borescoping this one I can see why everyone raves about their Tikka's because these things easily have the best looking barrel of any factory gun I've ever scoped. For a factory barrel, I'm pretty impressed with how good it looks inside.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:21 PM

Default 204

Have fun with the handloading...I'll bet it will shoot...most Tika's do.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:10 PM

I ordered a 20-223 AI reamer from Manson, since I love anything 223 based due to the choice and low cost of 223 brass. I sent my smith a Rem 660 action and a takeoff Rem 204 Varmint weight barrel. He took a few turns off, then cut a new chamber. I get performance very similar to the 204 and am shooting free brass at the moment. I find that weight sorting military brass works fairly well for constancy in other rifles, although I have not put this rifle in front of a chronograph yet. A low cost project that is fun and cheap to shoot.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:19 PM

It's really hard to beat the practicality of a .20 Practical. Nothing is easier to find than .223 brass. I know the .20 VT should be more accurate and use a couple grains less powder, but for simplicity sake, it's .20 P for me. I still a big fan of the .204. When I buy a different caliber, I buy a pile of brass with it.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:53 PM

I picked up 6 boxes of Winchester 204 Ruger 32gr ammo a couple weeks ago. If nothing else I'll have some brass but maybe this stuff will shoot ok too.