Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-21-2022, 03:08 AM

Default Tikka T3x Superlite .223

I recently bought a the Tikka and have been playing with it for the past couple of weeks. Every load I worked up shot well. Settled on a 50 gr. Barnes Varmint Grenade over 24 gr. N133. Yesterday I went out a shot a few ground squirrels. Here are some pics:

Old 01-21-2022, 03:28 AM

Enjoyed the photos. Wish I could locate some GS's, but still have snow up here and they will not be showing until late feb or even into march.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:13 PM

If you have some 40 gr V-Max or 40 gr Nosler BT give them a try with 26.3 VV-133. That has been my go to 223 load for years, the results on GS is outstandng. It groups exceedingly well in practically any 223 but in both my Coopers and Tikkas it works great. Most of my friends who have seen it perform have switched over to it for their 223's, it is just one of those loads that seems to shoot well in everything.

Hope this finds you well, it will be at least 2 more months before I will have any up here - I am envious.

drover
Old 01-21-2022, 03:31 PM

Default I'm happy for you....

...that you can shoot Vmax and Noslers. I live in California, statewide non-lead for any hunting. I worked up my loads using 40 & 50 grain Vmax because I have thousands. Hunting, I have to use non-lead. Get this, 10 days ago I bought 2 boxes of 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade 250/box at $42/box. This morning at Midway they are $84/box. Crazy!!!
Long time no see Drover. How have you and Jeanie been? I hope all is well with you two. I wonder if we will get together this year. Heck, you might see me this summer knocking on your door looking for a place to hunt prairie dogs.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Nice. My T3 .338 WM is very accurate. I wish Tikka would set up the .223 to use AR mags, I'd jump on one in a heartbeat. Great barrels.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv2001 View Post
...that you can shoot Vmax and Noslers. I live in California, statewide non-lead for any hunting. I worked up my loads using 40 & 50 grain Vmax because I have thousands. Hunting, I have to use non-lead. Get this, 10 days ago I bought 2 boxes of 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade 250/box at $42/box. This morning at Midway they are $84/box. Crazy!!!
Long time no see Drover. How have you and Jeanie been? I hope all is well with you two. I wonder if we will get together this year. Heck, you might see me this summer knocking on your door looking for a place to hunt prairie dogs.
I forgot about the ban on ammo with lead, I thought it was only in certain areas, I didn't realize that it was now statewide.

We are both doing good, getting a little moisture this year which is really needed.

If you come this way bring some of your V-Max and Nosler's, I have a couple of pretty good ground squirrel fields although the numbers have been down for the last couple of years. We have had a some winters without snow cover the last couple of years and I think quite a few of them may have frozen in their dens, but the good news is that we are having some snow this year.

We got about an inch of snow overnight so we are heading out to look for some jack rabbits in an hour or so.

Good to see you posting.

p.s. - I think you will like your Tikka a lot, IMO they are the best dollar value rifle available, not pretty but very effective.

drover
Old 01-21-2022, 04:46 PM

[quote=drover;301356]I forgot about the ban on ammo with lead, I thought it was only in certain areas, I didn't realize that it was now statewide.

California, which is a very communist run state, has a lead ban on all hunting, state wide. Even on non-game animals i.e. ground squirrels, jack rabbits, etc, etc. so we can save the Condor, which is starving to death in their area, due to lack of food and eating lead paint from old buildings in the general area they live in.
But some of the lead free bullets for the 17, 20, 224 and larger calibers work well. It is just that we are limited somewhat, in the amount and weights available.
So those of us in the commie state just have to bear with it.

I forgot to mention, more of the Condor's are being killed in the central and southern portion of the state, along with many other raptors, which are protected also, by the wind turbines, every day, but you don't see the authorities banning them, do you ?

Last edited by Bill K; 01-21-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:45 PM

I have the Tikka T3x Super Lite in 243 Win and absolutely love that rifle. Reloading 80 gr Barnes TTSX in it and it is very accurate.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:54 PM

In the USA, I see Sportsman’s and Cabelas carrying the Superlite lineup, but no one else. Cabelas doesn’t even bother to list their inventory, and Sportsmens lists the Superlite 223 as “product no longer available.” That is different than out of stock.

Where did you get your Superlite 223? I’m just not sure they are imported by Beretta anymore.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:40 AM

WyoBull,
I too have the T3 Superlite in .243, but I’m struggling to get good groups with Barnes 80 grain TTSXBT bullets.
I’m using Vhit powders, what brand powder are you using?
Thanks,Ken.