Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 PM

Default 75 gr .224 bullets for deer and antelope in 5.56

We are moving shortly to Wyoming and just got back from there. I found out that I can hunt Deer and Antelope with a .223 if I use at least a 60 grain bullet. I have a new AR that I put together that has a 1:7 twist 18" barrel with a 5.56 Nato chamber and a 24" 1:8 Twist Barrel on one of my Contenders. I have never been allowed to hunt medium game with a .224 cal bullet. What do you recommend? I normally shoot 55 grain soft nose Hornady's with the Contender and have not shot the AR enough to know what it will do. I am not a distance shooter, but sometimes it is quiet a ways from where you are and where they are with not much in between. What do you recommend?
Thanks, Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 PM

I use 65 gr sierra game kings in a AR and have had good luck on whitetails. I have also used 75 gr amax and have killed deer out to 380 yds (had a pass thru) with a 223AI first one had a great blood trail but the others not so much. I like the game kings.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:37 PM

Sierra also makes a 63gr SP GameKing, and Winchester used to make a 64gr SP. They will work fine in 1:12 twist 223.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:27 AM

Default 75 gr .224 bullets for deer and Antelope in 5.56

I use the old tried and true Nosler 60 grain partition bullet for them. They shoot well and work great on game such as you are wanting them for. Bill K
Old 10-05-2018, 12:31 AM

barnes has their 70gr tsx
A friend of mine set his daughter up with a .223 for her first hunt. she killed a nice 2x3 mulie at 340 yds with the federal fusion 62gr. he said he was very happy with the results. didn't get a pass through but did the job.

this is the same bullet used in the gold dot. rocky mountain reloading sells them as pulled bullets from time to time.

i've never heard anything bad about the tbbc offered by federal.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:44 AM
Administrator

My boy was very recoil shy at 13. I loaded 63 gr sierra semi points for his 22-250 with a warm load of varget. He knocked the snot out of a big whitetail buck with it at about 175 yards. The 63 is listed as a varmint bullet and it did not exit. We did find the bullet in the off side, perfect little mushroom. Lost a little weight but mostly held together. The benefit of the semi point is its short and fat. It should fit the magazine better than a 75 gr bullet that you'd really have to seat deep to fit the mag. The drawback is the poor BC, but at normal huntimg ranges, say 300-350 yards, you won't l know the difference.

Always wanted to try the 60 partition on deer or even the 65 game king.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I use the old tried and true Nosler 60 grain partition bullet for them. They shoot well and work great on game such as you are wanting them for. Bill K
Bill has some great advice.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:04 PM

I live in WY and shoot whitetail does with 223 using 65gr gameking and it works great. Haven't shot one over 212 though and I will not take a shot that is not perfect but heck when buck season shuts down the farmers will let you hunt doe's in the alfalfa in Dec and they just come running out to eat in the evening and Im proned out with RF and bipod and rear bag. Pick out the 3 fat ones as Im running a can and just lay them down. After the third shot they know something is up. Nosler is supposed to be making a 70gr accubond and i would try that also. I think the TTSX would work great also but I havent tried them.

Good luck