Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Squeaks Snuffed in the Snow

I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon and stopped and talked with a local rancher that allows me access to shoot. I dropped off a case of beer (as a thank you), shot the breeze for a few, then started work on continuing the break-in of one of my new Kimber longmaster classic 223 rifles.

I Killed around 40 squeaks on the snow, longest shot a lasered 285 yards.
Shooting Fiocchi Factory 50gr V max loads, because they are $.035 delivered and they shoot almost as good as reloads.

Had a nice few hours in that field. Not many squeaks out due to lack of feed and frozen, crunchy snow covering the entire 150 acre parcel. In a few weeks, it will turn on. I did however, manage to get a sunburn on the left side of my face. The bright sun on the snow was blinding.

Then, I went over to meet up with my dad in his hometown. I spent a few hours with the Kimber Montana shooting rocks and confirming my "dope" from 150 out to 600 yards.

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 on the Kimber Montana with a MOA Reticle that has hash marks for holdover, spaced an even 1 MOA apart, with 20 MOA hold over lines in total. Great scope. 13 MOA hash mark is dead nuts at 600 yds with the Factory Fiocchi 50gr Vmax load.

I was able to kill two squeaks with the montana........two for two.

All in all, a long over due, start to the spring. Next week is in the mid 50's......wooooohooooo!!!

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 03-15-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Little Bugger launched 5 feet left summer-salting...............Gotta love the 223 on squirrels!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 PM

That is a good start. Wishing they would start showing around here, so I can get to getting also. Thanks for sharing those photo's. Bill K
Old 03-15-2019, 06:53 PM

Can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon, beautiful and accurate rifle/s, a few ground squirrels to shoot, what's not to like. Well done!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 PM

Thanks guys....cheers to the start of springtime fun. I hope you both enjoy some action of your own real soon. Sunny weather welcome!!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 PM
Supporting Member

Good read, enjoyed the photos.

Tom
Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Thanks guys....cheers to the start of springtime fun. I hope you both enjoy some action of your own real soon. Sunny weather welcome!!
It's definitely warmed up but I still have 8+ inches of snow in my front yard.

Forecast shows highs to be in the mid to upper 50's so it should start burning off fairly fast, but we all know what follows. MUD! And that's not really something I'm looking forward to.

I've talked to some friends that live down around the Boise Id. area and it sounds like they have more and more ground crawlers showing up everyday. Lucky b*stards!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:44 PM

One of these days I need to head over the pass with several of my KoO rifles in tow and meet up with you for some pasture protection.

John

Last edited by Johnly; 03-15-2019 at 08:49 PM.